Human Development in the Italian Provinces
AbstractHolding that development cannot be measured solely in terms of per capita Gdp, we deemed it necessary to consider certain aspects of a social-economic nature. In particular, in the context of the Italian provinces we considered introducing some modifications to the United Nations Hdi, and thus proposed a new Provincial Index of Human Development, PrHdi (Isupr = Indice di sviluppo umano provinciale). This index is designed to take account of both the strictly economic aspects and the geographical peculiarities of the area examined. The PrHdi classification of the Italian provinces is compared with the per capita Gdpbased version, thus highlighting considerable pitfalls in measurement of development through per capita Gdp alone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Living Standards; Regional Development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cellini Roberto & Scorcu Antonello E., 1997.
"Istituzioni, stabilità e crescita nelle regioni italiane,"
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 459-484.
- Roberto Cellini & Antonello E. Scorcu, 1996. "Istituzioni, Stabilità e Crescita nelle Regioni Italiane," Working Papers 251, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- A. Di Liberto & J. Symons, 1998. "Human capital stocks and the development of Italian regions. A panel approach," Working Paper CRENoS 199804, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Salvatore Monni, 1999. "A convergence analysis of human development," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0011, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Salvatore Monni, 2002. "L'Indice di sviluppo umano regionale. Un'applicazione all'Unione Europea," ARGOMENTI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(5).
- Roberto Cellini & Antonello Scorcu, 1995. "How many Italies?," Working Papers 215, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.