Periurban agriculture and rural development strategies: a comment
AbstractUrban sprawl and new residential preferences in rural areas are the main driving factor of the increase of periurban spatial assets at regional level. In this sense “periurbanity” tends to be increasingly a stable and permanent condition of a territory, and not only a phase of transition between a rural to an urban condition. At the same time the agricultural activities located in these areas are assuming a more distinctive aspect from the ones located in the rural areas. The European regulation on rural development (Reg. CE 1698/05) seems to take into account this “new” territorial perspective. It gives to rural periurban areas an autonomous condition and it indicates for them specific strategies of intervention. In this paper it is briefly analysed the main features of periurban agriculture and the role they can have to enforce the efficiency and effectiveness of the rural development interventions for the 2007-2013 programming period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Periurban Agriculture; Urban Sprawl; Rural Development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R52 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Land Use and Other Regulations
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence W. Libby & Jeff S. Sharp, 2003. "Land-Use Compatibility, Change, and Policy at the Rural-Urban Fringe: Insights from Social Capital," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1194-1200.
- CavailhÃ¨s & Wavresky, 2003. "Urban influences on periurban farmland prices," Working Papers 155574, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Jean CavailhËs & Pierre Wavresky, 2003. "Urban influences on periurban farmland prices," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(3), pages 333-357, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.