Agricultural Policies of the EU in the New Member States: Development or Re-Distribution?
AbstractThe paper presents a critical review of the policy tools and financial resources to be applied to the new member countries (Nmcs), questioning whether these agricultural policies are adequate to pursue desirable objectives for the Nmc rural areas. The main features of the rural and agricultural economies of the Nmc are first reviewed, after which attention turns to the agricultural and rural policies that will be effectively applied in the Nmc as a result of the membership agreement and the 2003 reform of common agricultural policies. The paper argues that the single farm payment is likely to prove inadequate to pursue both agricultural development and rural income support objectives. At the same time, the rural development policies look as if they will be mainly sector-oriented, as they are devoted principally to supporting farm income rather than developing rural economies. From the financial point of view there will be significant re-distributive effects from the old member states to the Nmcs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Common Agricultural Policy; Rural Development; Extension of the EU;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gorton, Matthew & Davidova, Sophia, 2004. "Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: a synthesis of results," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Carsten Daugbjerg & Alan Swinbank, 2004. "The CAP and EU Enlargement: Prospects for an Alternative Strategy to Avoid the Lock-in of CAP Support," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 99-119, 02.
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & John C. Beghin & Fengxia Dong & Amani Elobeid & Frank H. Fuller & Holger Matthey & Simla Tokgoz & Eric Wailes, 2005.
"Impact of the European Enlargement and Common Agricultural Policy Reforms on Agricultural Markets: Much Ado about Nothing? The,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
05-wp382, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & John C. Beghin & Fengxia Dong & Amani Elobeid & Frank H. Fuller & Holger Matthey & Simla Tokgoz & Eric Wailes, 2005. "Impact of the European Enlargement and Common Agricultural Policy Reforms on Agricultural Markets: Much Ado about Nothing? The," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 05-wp382, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Fabrizio De Filippis & Luca Salvatici, 2002. "The eastward enlargement of the european union and the common agricultural policy," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0026, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- David Bailey & Lisa de Propris, 2004. "A Bridge Too Phare? EU Pre-Accession Aid and Capacity-Building in the Candidate Countries," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 77-98, 02.
- Lerman, Zvi & Csaki, Csaba & Feder, Gershon, 2002. "Land policies and evolving farm structures in transition countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2794, The World Bank.
- Fabrizio De Filippis & Daniela Storti, 2002. "Le politiche di sviluppo rurale nell´unione europea: un secondo pilastro tutto da inventare," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0025, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.