Transition to a Market System: Gradualism versus Radicalism?
AbstractYears after commencement of the systemic reforms in Central East Europe and the former Soviet Union the main question on the way of conducting reforms remains: gradualism or radicalism? Unfortunately many countries decided to embark on a radical way of transformation which resulted in a number of cases in decrease of GDP. Transformation, however, in its very meaning is a gradual process. It consists of three main elements: liberalisation and stabilisation; institutional building; and macroeconomic restructuring. Completion of all three processes requires time, in particular as far as institutional building and microeconomic restructuring are concerned. In Poland, the economic systemic reforms here can be divided into four periods: “shock without therapy” (1989-1993), “Strategy for Poland” (1994-1997), overcooling (1998-2001) and from 2002 until now the period of accelerated growth. Results in economic performance are also dependent on the long-term development policy. The Chinese experience proves the importance of it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Capitalist Systems; Transitional Economies; Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P11 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
- P21 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
- P30 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pasquale Tridico, 2005. "A Model of Institutional Change: The Economic Transition of Poland," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, July.
- Marcello Signorelli & Enrico Marelli, 2007. "Institutional change, regional features and aggregate performance in eight EU’s transition countries," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 37/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.