Flexibility, Dual Labour Markets, and Temporary Employment. Empirical Evidence from German Establishment Data
AbstractThe study examines, what forms and instruments firms use to react flexibly to demand-induced output fluctuations, and, if they are used in a complementary or substitutable way. Empirical evidence shows a rather complementary relationship. Moreover, the determinants of temporary employment (fixed-term contracts and temporary agency work) and the impact of these flexible employment forms on job security and job stability of regular employment are analyzed. One result is that positive developments of sales covary with a higher probability and more wide-spread use of temporary employment, which concurs with dual labour market theory. But estimations for job security and job stability indicate that temporary employment does not lower the number of layoffs and quits as is proposed by the core-periphery hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rainer Hampp Verlag in its journal Management Revue - The international Review of Management Studies.
Volume (Year): 16 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.hampp-verlag.de/
Postal: Rainer Hampp Verlag, Journals, Marktplatz 5, 86415 Mering, Germany. A subscripton is required to access pdf files. Pay per article is available at
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- J53 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Labor-Management Relations; Industrial Jurisprudence
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Beckmann & Dieter Kuhn, 2010. "Complementarities between Workplace Organisation and Human Resource Management:," Working papers 2010/03, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/2718 is not listed on IDEAS
- Larisa Smirnykh & Andreas Wörgötter, 2013.
"Why do Russian Firms Use Fixed-Term and Agency Work Contracts?,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
1014, OECD Publishing.
- Smirnykh, Larisa & Wörgötter, Andreas, 2013. "Why Do Russian Firms Use Fixed-Term and Agency Work Contracts?," IZA Policy Papers 54, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fernando Munoz-Bullon, 2008. "Who downsizes for longer? A longitudinal analysis," Business Economics Working Papers wb082805, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Jochen Späth, 2013. "Non-standard Employment, Working Time Arrangements, Establishment Entry and Exit," IAW Discussion Papers 98, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rainer Hampp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.