Impact of EU biofuel policies on the French arable sector: A micro-level analysis using global market and farm-based supply models
AbstractThis paper aims to ex-ante assess the micro-economic impacts of current EU biofuel policies on the French arable sector using an agricultural supply model (ASMMA) coupled with a computable general equilibrium model (MIRAGE-BioF). The application of this modelling framework confirms that biofuel policies would significantly affect the EU agricultural market, with price increase by 2020 as high as +40% in the case of rapeseed compared with a status quo at 2008 level. This would strongly impact land use and production of firstgeneration feedstock crops in France (rapeseed, cereals and sugar beets). The highest percentage increase would be in land dedicated to rapeseed (+50%), likely to occur in regions with a low initial rapeseed land share. This increase would boost farm income of most arable farms (+10% on average); however, the environment would face increase pressure from agricultural production with more use of pesticide (+5%) and increase in N2O emissions (+2.5%).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INRA Department of Economics in its journal Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
biofuels; policy analysis; agricultural supply model; arable crops; France;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- Q42 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Alternative Energy Sources
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bouët, Antoine & Dimaranan, Betina V. & Valin, Hugo, 2010. "Modeling the global trade and environmental impacts of biofuel policies," IFPRI discussion papers 1018, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Michiel Keyzer & Max Merbis & Roelf Voortman, 2008. "The Biofuel Controversy," De Economist, Springer, vol. 156(4), pages 507-527, December.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2009-02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeroen Buysse & Bruno Fernagut & Olivier Harmignie & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Ludwig Lauwers & Philippe Polomé & Guido Van Huylenbroeck & Jef Van Meensel, 2007. "Farm-based modelling of the EU sugar reform: impact on Belgian sugar beet suppliers," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 21-52, March.
- van Ittersum, Martin K. & Ewert, Frank & Heckelei, Thomas & Wery, Jacques & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Andersen, Erling & Bezlepkina, Irina & Brouwer, Floor & Donatelli, Marcello & Flichman, Guillermo & , 2008. "Integrated assessment of agricultural systems - A component-based framework for the European Union (SEAMLESS)," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 150-165, March.
- David Laborde & Hugo Valin, 2012. "MODELING LAND-USE CHANGES IN A GLOBAL CGE: ASSESSING THE EU BIOFUEL MANDATES WITH THE MIRAGE-BioF MODEL," Climate Change Economics (CCE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 3(03), pages 1250017-1-1.
- Guyomard, Herve & Baudry, Marc & Carpentier, Alain, 1996. "Estimating Crop Supply Response in the Presence of Farm Programmes: Application to the CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 401-20.
- Ryan, Lisa & Convery, Frank & Ferreira, Susana, 2006. "Stimulating the use of biofuels in the European Union: Implications for climate change policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 3184-3194, November.
- Simla Tokgoz & Amani Elobeid & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Dermot J. Hayes & Bruce A. Babcock & Tun-Hsiang (Edward) Yu & Fengxia Dong & Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2007.
"Emerging Biofuels: Outlook of Effects on U.S. Grain, Oilseed, and Livestock Markets,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
07-sr101, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Simla Tokgoz & Amani Elobeid & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Dermot J. Hayes & Bruce A. Babcock & Tun-Hsiang (Edward) Yu & Fengxia Dong & Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2007. "Emerging Biofuels: Outlook of Effects on U.S. Grain, Oilseed, and Livestock Markets," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-sr101, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Searchinger, Timothy & Heimlich, Ralph & Houghton, R. A. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Tokgoz, Simla & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yu, Hun-Hsiang, 2008. "Use of U.S. Croplands for Biofuels Increases Greenhouse Gases Through Emissions from Land-Use Change," Staff General Research Papers 12881, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008.
"Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6526, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hertel, Thomas & Tyner, Wally & Birur, Dileep, 2008. "Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates," GTAP Working Papers 2809, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Witzke, Heinz Peter & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Gay, Stephan Hubertus & Golub, Alla A. & Havlik, Petr & Msangi, Siwa & Tokgoz, Simla & Searchinger, Timothy D., 2010. "A Decomposition Approach To Assess Iluc Results From Global Modeling Efforts," Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany 91430, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Deppermann, Andre & Grethe, Harald & Offermann, Frank, 2010. "Farm level effects of EU policy liberalization: Simulations based on an EU-wide agricultural sector model and a supply model of the German agricultural sector," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61083, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Quirino Paris & Richard E. Howitt, 1998. "An Analysis of Ill-Posed Production Problems Using Maximum Entropy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 124-138.
- Emini, Christian Arnault & Cockburn, John & Decaluwe, Bernard, 2005.
"The poverty impacts of the Doha Round in Cameroon : the role of tax policy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3746, The World Bank.
- Christian Arnault Emini & John Cockburn & Bernard Decaluwe, 2005. "The Poverty Impacts of the Doha Round in Cameroon: the Role of Tax Policy," Working Papers MPIA 2005-04, PEP-MPIA.
- Elobeid Amani & Hart Chad, 2007.
"Ethanol Expansion in the Food versus Fuel Debate: How Will Developing Countries Fare?,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-23, December.
- Elobeid, Amani & Hart, Chad E., 2009. "Ethanol Expansion in the Food Versus Fuel Debate: How Will Developing Countries Fare?," Staff General Research Papers 12971, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Martin Banse & Hans van Meijl & Andrzej Tabeau & Geert Woltjer, 2008. "Will EU biofuel policies affect global agricultural markets?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 117-141, June.
- Hugo Valin & Betina Dimaranan & Antoine Bouet, 2010. "Evaluating the Environmental Cost of Biofuels Policy: an Illustration with Bioethanol," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 122, pages 89-120.
- Thaeripour, Farzad & Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Beckman, Jayson F. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008. "Biofuels and their By-Products: Global Economic and Environmental Implications," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6452, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.