Measures of store loyalty in French food retailing
AbstractStore loyalty is an important issue for retailers since it defines one way in which consumers are attached to stores. However, store loyalty is not unidimensional and there are different ways of measuring it. After surveying the marketing literature on how to assess ’store loyalty’, we compute different store loyalty indexes with French homescan database on consumer purchases (9 000 households) coupled with a store database that allows us to control for supply parameters, including store location and accessibility. We find that the store loyalty index, computed on more than 250 goods, differs greatly across chain stores. Moreover, when households increase their expenditures in a store, it does not necessarily mean that the store benefits from more loyal patronage. We also investigate the relationship between store loyalty and likelihood of buying private labels (PL). Results show that a PL expenditure increase does not translate into higher store loyalty (whatever the index studied).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INRA Department of Economics in its journal Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies.
Volume (Year): 91 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
store loyalty; market power; private label;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter T. L. Popkowski Leszczyc & Fusun F. Gonul, 1996. "Multiple Ways of Measuring Brand Loyalty," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 494-97, April.
- Bergès-Sennou Fabian & Bontems Philippe & Réquillart Vincent, 2004. "Economics of Private Labels: A Survey of Literature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Fabian Bergès-Sennou, 2006. "Store loyalty, bargaining power and the private label production issue," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 315-335, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.