The efficiency of maize farming in Malawi. A bootstrapped translog frontier
AbstractWe measure the level and determinants of technical efficiency of maize based smallholder farmers using a bootstrapped translog stochastic frontier that is a posteriori checked for functional consistency. The results show that higher levels of technical efficiency are obtained when farmers use integrated soil fertility options compared to the use of inorganic fertilizer only. With respect to the policy variables considered in the analysis, access to agricultural input and output markets, credit provision and extension services strongly influence smallholders’ technical efficiency. There is a need to strengthen these public policy issues in order to effectively address the efficiency of Malawian agriculture and its impact on poverty by ensuring sustainable soil fertility management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INRA Department of Economics in its journal Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales.
Volume (Year): 82-83 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex
Web page: http://www.sae2.inra.fr/Departement-Recherches/Recherches-departement-SAE2/Raestud/%28key%29/3
More information through EDIRC
smallholder agriculture; bootstrapped frontier; soil fertility management; Malawi;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1998.
"Agricultural productivity in developing countries,"
Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Sharada Weir & John Knight, 2000.
"Education externalities in rural Ethiopia: evidence from average and stochastic frontier production functions,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2000-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- John Knight & Sharada Weir, 2000. "Education Externalities in Rural Ethiopia: Evidence from Average and Stochastic Frontier Production Functions," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2000-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Almas Heshmati & Yilma Mulugeta, 1996. "Technical efficiency of the Ugandan matoke farms," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(7), pages 491-494.
- Sherlund, Shane M. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Adesina, Akinwumi A., 2002. "Smallholder technical efficiency controlling for environmental production conditions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 85-101, October.
- Townsend, R. F. & Kirsten, J. & Vink, N., 1998. "Farm size, productivity and returns to scale in agriculture revisited: a case study of wine producers in South Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 175-180, September.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Morrison, Jamie & Urey, Ian, 2004.
"A Policy Agenda for Pro-Poor Agricultural Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-89, January.
- Helfand, Steven M. & Levine, Edward S., 2004. "Farm size and the determinants of productive efficiency in the Brazilian Center-West," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 241-249, December.
- Johannes Sauer, 2006. "Economic Theory and Econometric Practice: Parametric Efficiency Analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 1061-1087, November.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Christpher B. Barrett, 1997. "How credible are estimates of peasant allocative scale, or scope efficiency? A commentary," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 221-229.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2001. "The Bootstrap," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 52, pages 3159-3228 Elsevier.
- Stijn Reinhard & C. A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Analysis of Environmental Efficiency Variation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1054-1065.
- Udry, Christopher & Hoddinott, John & Alderman, Harold & Haddad, Lawrence, 1995. "Gender differentials in farm productivity: implications for household efficiency and agricultural policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 407-423, October.
- Mochebelele, Motsamai T. & Winter-Nelson, Alex, 2000. "Migrant Labor and Farm Technical Efficiency in Lesotho," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 143-153, January.
- I. Okike & M.A. Jabbar & V.M. Manyong & J.W. Smith & S.K. Ehui, 2004. "Factors Affecting Farm-specific Production Efficiency in the Savanna Zones of West Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 134-165, March.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Alexander Sarris, 2005. "Measuring and explaining scale efficiency with the parametric approach: the case of Greek tobacco growers," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(s3), pages 441-451, November.
- Smale, Melinda & Jayne, T.S., 2003. "Maize in Eastern and Southern Africa: 'seeds' of success in retrospect," EPTD discussion papers 97, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Maganga, Assa M., 2010. "Determinants of smallholder maize supply to private traders and profitability: evidence from lilongwe district in central Malawi," MPRA Paper 34371, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.