Modeling multivariate parametric densities of financial returns (in Russian)
AbstractThis paper compares several bivariate conditional density parameterizations for stock market returns in terms of in-sample fit and out-of-sample predictive ability for the whole conditional density. We consider Skew-Normal, Skew-Student, Skew-GED and Gram-Charlier densities. We focus on the ability of these density specifications to capture asymmetry and so called 'multivariate tails'. Using a test based on Kullback-Leibler information criterion we conduct pairwise comparisons of estimated conditional density models in sample and out of sample. The models are ranked according to their quality of fit and predictive ability. We discuss the causes behind superiority of this or that density specification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Quantile in its journal Quantile.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://quantile.ru/
conditional density; Gram-Charlier expansion; skewed distribution; quality of fit; predictive ability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stanislav Anatolyev).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.