Factors affecting consumers’ purchasing behaviour towards local foods in Greece: the case of the prefecture of Xanthi
AbstractThis paper aims to identify the factors that affect consumers purchasing behaviour towards locally produced food in Greece and more precisely in the Prefecture of Xanthi. Field interviews conducted in a random selected sample consisted of 100 consumers in February of 2011. Multivariate statistical analysis performed to identify consumers behaviour toward local products. In particular, principal components analysis (PCA) was conducted in order to identify the factors that affect people in preferring locally produced food. The factors that influence people in the Prefecture of Xanthi to buy local food products are: (a) the topicality of the products, (b) quality and health issues, (c) appearance, (d) freshness and taste issues (e) curiosity and prestige. Furthermore, cluster analysis was employed to classify consumers with similar buying behaviour, and identified 2 groups of consumers: (a) those are influenced by curiosity, prestige and freshness of the product and (b) those are interested in the topicality of the product. Discriminant analysis was performed to assess how the identified factors derived from PCA could predict cluster membership. Non parametric statistical bivariate techniques were performed to profile the identified group of consumers regarding their personal characteristics and some other factors affecting their consuming behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Pitesti in its journal Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences.
Volume (Year): 10 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
consumer behaviour; local food; consumer preferences;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D03 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Behavioral Microeconomics; Underlying Principles
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Grimsrud, Kristine M. & Ouchi, Hiromi & Wahl, Thomas I., 2003. "Consumer Response to Genetically Modified Food Products in Japan," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 32(2), October.
- Panagiotis Lazaridis, 2003. "Household meat demand in Greece: A demand systems approach using microdata," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 43-59.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Logica Banica).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.