Il “Manifesto” contro la disoccupazione nell’UE sette anni dopo: quali suggerimenti sono sempre attuali?
AbstractThe article analyzes retrospectively after seven years the impact that the publication of the "Manifesto against unemployment in the EU" has had on economic policies enabled in the various European countries. On the supply side, it is recognized that many suggestions of the "Manifesto" were put into practice, such as are particularly significant reforms of the labor market recently adopted in Italy, Germany and France. Such reforms have introduced more flexibility in contracts of employment, which has favored the increase in employment and the decline in unemployment in all countries. Not so satisfactory, however, were the results achieved in the policies of aggregate demand management. The restrictive fiscal policies imposed by the requirements of the Maastricht criteria, in fact, has been matched by equally restrictive monetary policy of the ECB, which has made appreciate the euro and made ??European goods less competitive in the international market. Equally disappointing are judged regional development policies, for which we suggest a more appropriate use of the policy of tax incentives to attract new investment in underdeveloped areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economia civile in its journal Moneta e Credito.
Volume (Year): 58 (2005)
Issue (Month): 230-231 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2002.
"What measure of inflation should a central bank target?,"
Working Paper Series
0170, European Central Bank.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2003. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1058-1086, 09.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," NBER Working Papers 9375, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2003. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Scholarly Articles 3415322, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1984, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Truger, Achim & Schulten, Thorsten & Hein, Eckhard, 2004.
"Wage trends and deflation risks in Germany and Europe,"
WSI Discussion Papers
124, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Eckhard Hein & Thorsten Schulten & Achim Truger, 2004. "Wage trends and deflation risks in Germany and Europe," Macroeconomics 0412008, EconWPA.
- Paolo Surico, 2003.
"How does the ECB target inflation?,"
- Beniamino Moro, 2002. "Una politica fiscale regionale per lo sviluppo economico del Mezzogiorno," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(3), pages 395-442, May-June.
- repec:rie:review:v:9:y:2004:i:1:n:9 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.