AbstractVery few economic terms are used as much as competitiveness in economics. This article deals with the different meanings of competitiveness, at the level of a firm, at the level of the local area, and at the level of the country. It analyzes the problems of consistency among the available definitions and among the indicators used to measurecompetitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Banca Nazionale del Lavoro in its journal BNL Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): 55 (2002)
Issue (Month): 220 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, Frank & Bradley, John, 1997.
"FDI and Trade: The Irish Host-Country Experience,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1798-1811, November.
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997. ""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience"," Papers 97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Angelo Reati, 2001. "Total factor productivity - a misleading concept," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(218), pages 313-332.
- R. Cellini & A. Soci, 1997. "La competitivita'," Working Papers 292, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Patrik Gustavsson & Pär Hansson & Lars Lundberg,, . "Technological Progress, Capital Accumulation and Changing International Competitiveness," Discussion Papers 96/7, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Angelo Reati, 2001. "Total factor productivity - a misleading concept," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(218), pages 313-332.
- Edward M. Graham & Paul R. Krugman, 1993. "The Surge in Foreign Direct Investment in the 1980s," NBER Chapters, in: Foreign Direct Investment, pages 13-36 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wright, S., 1993. "Measures of Real Effective Exchange Rates," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9316, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1991.
"Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods,"
in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 144-199
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1990. "Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Working Papers 3442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erik S. Reinert, .
"Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective,"
STEP Report series
199403, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1995. "Competitiveness and its predecessors--a 500-year cross-national perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 23-42, March.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1994. "Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective," MPRA Paper 48155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Differentiation and Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 407-14, May.
- King, Alan, 1993. "A Note on Export Unit Value Indices in Competitiveness Variables," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 69-77, January.
- Muellbauer, John, 1991. "Productivity and Competitiveness," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3), pages 99-117, Autumn.
- Paul Krugman, 1997. "Pop Internationalism," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262611333, December.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Andrea Bassanini & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer, 2000. "Economic Growth in the OECD Area: Recent Trends at the Aggregate and Sectoral Level," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 248, OECD Publishing.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- Rossi, Vanessa, et al, 1986. "Exchange Rates, Productivity and International Competitiveness," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 56-73, Autumn.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness: Errata," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1203, December.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1971. "Price Competitiveness in World Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krav71-1, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.