AbstractVery few economic terms are used as much as competitiveness in economics. This article deals with the different meanings of competitiveness, at the level of a firm, at the level of the local area, and at the level of the country. It analyzes the problems of consistency among the available definitions and among the indicators used to measurecompetitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Banca Nazionale del Lavoro in its journal BNL Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): 55 (2002)
Issue (Month): 220 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon, Herbert A, 1979.
"Rational Decision Making in Business Organizations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 493-513, September.
- Simon, Herbert A., 1978. "Rational Decision-Making in Business Organizations," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1978-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Edouard B. Maciejewski, 1983. ""Real" Effective Exchange Rate Indices: A Re-Examination of the Major Conceptual and Methodological Issues (Les indices de taux de change effectifs "rÃ©els": un rÃ©examen des p," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(3), pages 491-541, September.
- R. Cellini & A. Soci, 1997. "La competitivita'," Working Papers 292, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Rossi, Vanessa, et al, 1986. "Exchange Rates, Productivity and International Competitiveness," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 56-73, Autumn.
- King, Alan, 1993. "A Note on Export Unit Value Indices in Competitiveness Variables," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 69-77, January.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1994.
"Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective,"
48155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1995. "Competitiveness and its predecessors--a 500-year cross-national perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 23-42, March.
- Erik S. Reinert, . "Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective," STEP Report series 199403, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1991.
"Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods,"
in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 144-199
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1990. "Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Working Papers 3442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry, Frank & Bradley, John, 1997.
"FDI and Trade: The Irish Host-Country Experience,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1798-1811, November.
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997. ""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience"," Papers 97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Edward M. Graham & Paul R. Krugman, 1993. "The Surge in Foreign Direct Investment in the 1980s," NBER Chapters, in: Foreign Direct Investment, pages 13-36 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Andrea Bassanini & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer, 2000. "Economic Growth in the OECD Area: Recent Trends at the Aggregate and Sectoral Level," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 248, OECD Publishing.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1971. "Price Competitiveness in World Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krav71-1, July.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- Muellbauer, John, 1991. "Productivity and Competitiveness," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3), pages 99-117, Autumn.
- Steven A. Symansky & Peter B. Clark & Leonardo Bartolini & Tamim Bayoumi, 1994. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals," IMF Occasional Papers 115, International Monetary Fund.
- Angelo Reati, 2001. "Total factor productivity - a misleading concept," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(218), pages 313-332.
- D. Pilat & B. Van Ark, 1994. "Competitiveness in manufacturing: a comparison of Germany, Japan and the United States," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 47(189), pages 167-186.
- Angelo Reati, 2001. "Total factor productivity - a misleading concept," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(218), pages 313-332.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness: Errata," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1203, December.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Differentiation and Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 407-14, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1997. "Pop Internationalism," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262611333, December.
- Wright, S., 1993. "Measures of Real Effective Exchange Rates," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9316, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Patrik Gustavsson & Pär Hansson & Lars Lundberg,, . "Technological Progress, Capital Accumulation and Changing International Competitiveness," Discussion Papers 96/7, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.