Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence
AbstractThe European banking industry is currently facing the effects arising from the increasing integration of national financial markets. In adapting to this new scenario, the Italian banking system has undergone a considerable transformation. The degree of competition in the Italian banking system is evaluated using a sample of banks during the period 1988-96.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Banca Nazionale del Lavoro in its journal BNL Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): 51 (1998)
Issue (Month): 205 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Other versions of this item:
- P. Coccorese, 1998. "Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(205), pages 171-191.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Sullivan, Daniel, 1987. "Nonparametric Tests of Market Structure: An Application to the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 483-98, June.
- Alli Nathan & Edwin H. Neave, 1989. "Competition and Contestability in Canada's Financial System: Empirical Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 576-94, August.
- Branson, William H, 1990. "Financial Market Integration, Macroeconomic Policy and the EMS," CEPR Discussion Papers 385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Stylianos Perrakis, 1991. "Assessing Competition in Canada's Financial System: A Note," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 727-32, August.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Horst Gischer & Mike Stiele, 2009. "Competition Tests with a Non-Structural Model: the Panzar-Rosse Method Applied to Germany's Savings Banks," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 50-70, 02.
- Park, Kang H., 2009. "Has bank consolidation in Korea lessened competition?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 651-667, May.
- Al-Muharrami, Saeed & Matthews, Kent & Khabari, Yusuf, 2006.
"Market structure and competitive conditions in the Arab GCC banking system,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3487-3501, December.
- Al-Muharrami, Saeed & Matthews, Kent & Khabari, Yusuf, 2006. "Market Structure and Competitive Conditions in the Arab GCC Banking System," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2006/8, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2005.
"Financial Dependence, Banking Sector Competition, and Economic Growth,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(1), pages 179-207, 03.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2005. "Financial dependence, banking sector competition, and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3481, The World Bank.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2004. "Patterns of competition in banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 287-313.
- Turk-Ariss, Rima, 2009. "Competitive behavior in Middle East and North Africa banking systems," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 693-710, May.
- Yildirim, H. Semih & Philippatos, George C., 2007. "Restructuring, consolidation and competition in Latin American banking markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 629-639, March.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Measures of competition and concentration in the banking industry: a review of the literature," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 27, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Davis, E. Philip & De Bandt, Olivier, 1999. "A cross-country comparison of market structures in European banking," Working Paper Series 0007, European Central Bank.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2005. "Competition in markets with dominant firms: A note on the evidence from the Italian banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1083-1093, May.
- Stéphanie Grandperrin & Jimmy Gaudin & Michel Boutillier, 2005. "La situation concurrentielle des principaux secteurs bancaires européens entre 1993 et 2000 : quels enseignements pour la future structure des marchés financiers issue de l'UEM ?," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 81(4), pages 15-42.
- Tsutsui, Yoshiro & Kamesaka, Akiko, 2005. "Degree of competition in the Japanese securities industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 360-374.
- Shrimal Perera & Michael Skully & J. Wickramanayake, 2006. "Competition and structure of South Asian banking: a revenue behaviour approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(11), pages 789-801.
- Mariarosaria Agostino & Leone Leonida & Francesco Trivieri, 2005. "Profits persistence and ownership: evidence from the Italian banking sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(14), pages 1615-1621.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2009. "Market power in local banking monopolies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1196-1210, July.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004.
"Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- Gaston Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Jacob Bikker & Laura Spierdijk & Paul Finnie, 2006. "Misspecifiation of the Panzar-Rosse Model: Assessing Competition in the Banking Industry," DNB Working Papers 114, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Fiona, Tregenna, 2006. "An empirical investigation of the effects of concentration on profitability among US banks," MPRA Paper 13731, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.