Impact of Effective Tax Rates and Its Components on Foreign Direct Investment – The Case of the EU Member Countries
AbstractThe empirical literature generally accepts the influence of corporate taxes on the investment decision of the multinationalities. The most papers usually consider more aspect of that tax then only statutory corporate tax rate. Using annual time series data for the period 1998-2011 this paper examines the influence of EMTR and EATR including their components on the foreign direct investments in the EU Member states. The main aim of the paper is to evaluate which of the selected types of effective tax rates explains the investment decisions of the multinationalities the best. The results show that the commonly used indicators of effective tax burden are not the best option for foreign direct investment (FDI) explanation in the investigated model. Perhaps the best indicator for evaluating dependencies between explanatory variables and FDI are the average and marginal effective tax rate from industrial buildings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Politická ekonomie.
Volume (Year): 2013 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B16 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Quantitative and Mathematical
- B23 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Econometrics; Quantitative and Mathematical Studies
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Assaf Razin & Joel B. Slemrod, 1990. "Introduction to "Taxation in the Global Economy"," NBER Chapters, in: Taxation in the Global Economy, pages 1-8 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asano, Takao, 2010. "Optimal tax policy and foreign direct investment under ambiguity," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 185-200, March.
- Assaf Razin & Joel Slemrod, 1990. "Taxation in the Global Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number razi90-1.
- Tomáš Havránek, 2009.
"The supply of foreign direct investment incentives: subsidy competition in an oligopolistic framework,"
Prague Economic Papers,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(2), pages 131-155.
- Havranek, Tomas, 2008. "The Supply of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives: Subsidy Competition in an Oligopolistic Framework," MPRA Paper 10770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdal Demirhan & Mahmut Masca, 2008. "Determinants of foreign direct investment flows to developing countries: a cross-sectional analysis," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(4), pages 356-369.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.