An Estimation of Output Gap in Romanian Economy Using the DSGE Approach
AbstractIn this paper I use an open economy DSGE model and estimate it for Romanian economy using Bayesian techniques. Based on estimation I derive a smoothed estimation of the output gap. I compare the results with those from standard procedures to estimate the output gap, the Hodrick Prescott filter, the production function and an unobserved components model. The results show that the DSGE approach can give a better picture of the output gap and it is more consistent with the dynamics of Romanian economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Prague Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 2009 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dobrescu, Emilian, 2007.
"Double Conditioned Potential Output,"
Working Papers of Institute for Economic Forecasting
070701, Institute for Economic Forecasting.
- Scutaru, Cornelia & Stanica, Cristian Nicolae, 2005. "Output Gap And Shocks Dynamics. The Case Of Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 2(4), pages 25-43.
- Basistha, Arabinda & Nelson, Charles R., 2007. "New measures of the output gap based on the forward-looking new Keynesian Phillips curve," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 498-511, March.
- Jordi Galí, 2008.
"Introduction to Monetary Policy, Inflation, and the Business Cycle: An Introduction to the New Keynesian Framework
[Monetary Policy, Inflation, and the Business Cycle: An Introduction to the New Ke," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Timothy Cogley & James M. Nason, 1993.
"Effects of the Hodrick-Prescott filter on trend and difference stationary time series: implications for business cycle research,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
93-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Cogley, Timothy & Nason, James M., 1995. "Effects of the Hodrick-Prescott filter on trend and difference stationary time series Implications for business cycle research," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 253-278.
- Yasuo Hirose & Saori Naganuma, 2010. "Structural Estimation Of The Output Gap: A Bayesian Dsge Approach," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 864-879, October.
- Rochelle M. Edge & Michael T. Kiley & Jean-Philippe Laforte, 2007.
"Natural rate measures in an estimated DSGE model of the U.S. economy,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2007-08, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edge, Rochelle M. & Kiley, Michael T. & Laforte, Jean-Philippe, 2008. "Natural rate measures in an estimated DSGE model of the U.S. economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2512-2535, August.
- Hilde Bjørnland & Kai Leitemo & Junior Maih, 2011.
"Estimating the natural rates in a simple New Keynesian framework,"
Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 755-777, May.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Kai Leitemo & Junior Maih, 2008. "Estimating the natural rates in a simple New Keynesian framework," Working Paper 2007/10, Norges Bank.
- Daniel O. Beltran & David Draper, 2008. "Estimating the parameters of a small open economy DSGE model: identifiability and inferential validity," International Finance Discussion Papers 955, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Caraiani, Petre, 2007. "An Analysis of the Fluctuations in the Romanian Economy using the Real Business Cycles Approach," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(2), pages 76-86, June.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Caraiani, Petre, 2008. "An Analysis Of Domestic And External Shocks On Romanian Economy Using A Dsge Model," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(3), pages 100-114, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.