The endogeneity problem and fdi in transition: evidence from the privatized glass sector
AbstractThis paper analyses the crucial factors determining the foreign direct investment (FDI) going to the privatized glass sector in the Czech Republic. In our research we felt that there was a scant evidence in Central and Eastern Europe of the determinants of foreign direct investments (FDI) at the micro level and we were aware of the endogeneity issue of FDI. The aim of this paper is to fill these gaps. The choice of the glass sector allows for an analysis of a firm's micro characteristics that attract foreign direct investors in an industrial sector, while reducing the impact of macroeconomic factors in their choice. Our econometrical analysis, using original panel data from 1990 to 2006, gives strong evidence that foreign direct investors in the glass sector in the Czech Republic have chosen larger and more profitable firms that were intensively restructured and privatized at the beginning of the transition. Our results support the relevance of the endogeneity issue in the choice of foreign direct investors in transition countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Prague Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 2008 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- L61 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Metals and Metal Products; Cement; Glass; Ceramics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dyck, I J Alexander, 1997. "Privatization in Eastern Germany: Management Selection and Economic Transition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 565-97, September.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 2000.
"Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
7209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Himmelberg, Charles P. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Palia, Darius, 1999. "Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 353-384, September.
- Himmelberg, C.P. & Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D., 1997. "Understanding the Determinants of Mangerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," Papers 97-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Anderson, Christopher W & Jandik, Tomas & Makhija, Anil K, 2001. "Determinants of Foreign Ownership in Newly Privatized Companies in Transition Economies," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 161-75, May.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Weiss Andrew & Nikitin Georgiy A, 2004. "Foreign Portfolio Investment Improves Performance: Evidence from the Czech Republic," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-49, June.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-77, December.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," NBER Working Papers 11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stijn Claessens & Simeon Djankov, 1999.
"Ownership Concentration and Corporate Performance in the Czech Republic,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
227, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon, 1999. "Ownership Concentration and Corporate Performance in the Czech Republic," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 498-513, September.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon, 1999. "Ownership Concentration and Corporate Performance in the Czech Republic," CEPR Discussion Papers 2145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anton Marcinèin & Sweder Wijnbergen, 1997. "The impact of Czech privatization methods on enterprise performance incorporating initial selection-bias correction," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(2), pages 289-304, November.
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan, 2006.
"Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1874, CESifo Group Munich.
- Horst Raff & Michael J. Ryan, 2008. "Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 1-31, April.
- Ryan, Michael & Raff, Horst, 2007. "Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects," Economics Working Papers 2007,22, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Iraj Hashi, 1997. "Mass Privatisation and Corporate Governance in the Czech Republic," Working Papers 003, Staffordshire University, Business School.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1983. "The Structure of Ownership and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 375-90, June.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- John H Dunning, 1980. "Towards an Eclectic Theory of International Production: Some Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 9-31, March.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, June.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Demsetz, Harold & Villalonga, Belen, 2001. "Ownership structure and corporate performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 209-233, September.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Martin Srholec, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and technology change," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2003(5).
- Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and Enterprise Restructuring in Central Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 477-504, July.
- Karel Janda & Eva Michalíková & Věra Potácelová, 2010. "Gravity and Fiscal Models of Government Support of Export Credit in the Czech Republic," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(3), pages 305-325.
- Václav Žďárek, 2009. "Modern methods of production and foreign direct investment," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(4), pages 509-543.
- Elisa Galeotti, 2009. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Geographical Proximity with Foreign Investors? Evidence from the Privatization of the Czech Glass Industry," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 026-047, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.