Dynamic Analysis of Selected European Stock Markets
AbstractThe behaviour of selected European stock indices in the period 2001-2005 was analysed. UKX (GB), DAX (Germany), CAC (France) and MIBTEL (Italy) represented well established West European markets, whereas PX-50 (Czech Republic), SKSM (Slovak Republic), BUX (Hungary) and WIG (Poland) were the examples of Central European emerging ones. The subject of this analysis were logarithmic daily returns computed from closing values of corresponding indices. Cross correlation function reached typical values 0.7 (West Europe) and 0.4 (Central Europe) excepting the Slovak Republic. The patterns of both common and solitary movements were revealed with the use of principal component and cluster analysis. To establish some dynamical relations in return time-series, vector autoregression models and Granger causality tests were employed. As for West Europe, the causal chain UKX_MIBTEL_DAX_CAC was revealed. On the other hand, the form of this chain for Central Europe was PX-50_BUX_WIG. Finally, the behaviour of both BUX and WIG returns was strongly determined by all West European counterparts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Prague Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 2007 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eugene F. Fama, 1968. "Risk, Return And Equilibrium: Some Clarifying Comments," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(1), pages 29-40, 03.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.