Clustering patterns of urban built-up areas with curves of fractal scaling behaviour
AbstractFractal dimension is an index which can be used to characterize urban areas. The use of the curve of scaling behaviour is less common. However, its shape gives local information about the morphology of the built-up area. This paper suggests a method based on a k-medoid for clustering these curves. It is applied to forty-nine wards of European cities, and shows that the curves add interesting intraward information to our knowledge of the spatial variation of the urban texture. Moreover, morphological similarities are observed between cities: living, architectural, and planning trends are not specific to individual cities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design.
Volume (Year): 37 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas, Isabelle, 2010. "Clustering patterns of urban built-up areas with curves of fractal scaling behaviour," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/33417, Université catholique de Louvain.
- THOMAS, Isabelle & FRANKHAUSER, Pierre & FRENAY, Benoît & VERLEYSEN, Michel, . "Clustering patterns of urban-built-up areas with curves of fractal scaling behaviour," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2251, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boccard, Nicolas, 2010. "Ensuring quality provision through capacity regulation under price competition," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/33472, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Conforti, Michele, 2010. "Projecting an extended formulation for mixed-integer covers on bipartite graphs," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/33411, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Di Summa, Marco, 2010. "Lot-sizing with stock upper bounds and fixed charges," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/33413, Université catholique de Louvain.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.