Measures of spatial accessibility to health care in a GIS environment: synthesis and a case study in the Chicago region
AbstractThis article synthesizes two GIS-based accessibility measures into one framework, and applies the methods to examining spatial accessibility to primary health care in the Chicago ten-county region. The floating catchment area (FCA) method defines the service area of physicians by a threshold travel time while accounting for the availability of physicians by their surrounded demands. The gravity-based method considers a nearby physician more accessible than a remote one and discounts a physician's availability by a gravity-based potential. The former is a special case of the latter. Based on the 2000 Census and primary care physician data, this research assesses the variation of spatial accessibility to primary care in the Chicago region, and analyzes the sensitivity of results by experimenting with ranges of threshold travel times in the FCA method and travel friction coefficients in the gravity model. The methods may be used to help the US Department of Health and Human Services and state health departments improve designation of Health Professional Shortage Areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yao, Jing & Murray, Alan T. & Agadjanian, Victor, 2013. "A geographical perspective on access to sexual and reproductive health care for women in rural Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 60-68.
- Gerson Javier Pérez Valbuena, 2013. "Barranquilla: avances recientes en sus indicadores socioeconómicos, y logros en la accesibilidad geográfica a la red pública hospitalaria," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 010766, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Minetos, Dionysios & Polyzos, Serafeim, 2010. "Deforestation processes in Greece: A spatial analysis by using an ordinal regression model," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 457-472, July.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2013.
"Accesibilidad geográfica y equidad en la prestación del servicio de salud: un estudio de caso para Barranquilla,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010853, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2013. "Accesibilidad geográfica y equidad en la prestación del servicio de salud: un estudio de caso para Barranquilla," Borradores de Economia 770, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.