The shrinking continent: new time - space maps of Europe
AbstractIncreasing mobility is one of the constituent features of modernity. Today Europe is facing a new thrust of acceleration: the planned European high-speed rail network will open up new dimensions of travel speed and so of the relation of space and time. The topic of this paper is the visualisation of the new relationship of space and time by a new type of map. These time-space maps do not display spatial distances but time distances between cities and countries. A method for creating time - space maps has been developed which improves current methods and avoids their pitfalls. To demonstrate this method, time - space maps of Europe and selected European countries showing the effects of the evolving European high-speed rail network are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design.
Volume (Year): 21 (1994)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Verma, Ashish & Sudhira, H.S. & Rathi, Sujaya & King, Robin & Dash, Nibedita, 2013. "Sustainable urbanization using high speed rail (HSR) in Karnataka, India," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 67-77.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Overman, Henry G., 2004.
"The spatial distribution of economic activities in the European Union,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 64, pages 2845-2909
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Henry Overman, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Economic Activities in the European Union," CEP Discussion Papers dp0587, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vickerman, Roger, 2008. "Transit investment and economic development," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 107-115, January.
- Feitelson, Eran & Salomon, Ilan, 2000. "The implications of differential network flexibility for spatial structures," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 459-479, August.
- Roger Vickerman & Klaus Spiekermann & Michael Wegener, 1999. "Accessibility and Economic Development in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.