The link between devolution and regional disparities: evidence from the Italian regions
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between devolution and regional disparities by looking at the case of Italy. By integrating the relevant quantitative and qualitative evidence, it attempts to answer two questions. Did the devolutionary process exert a positive influence on regional convergence in Italy? And, if so, why have its beneficial economic effects been concentrated in the Mezzogiorno? A clear historical link between the upsurge of devolution and the reduction of spatial inequalities is identified. However, this relationship plays out in a rather indirect way, and is strongly influenced by a series of exogenous factors which are thoroughly analysed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Roberto Ezcurra, 2010.
"Does decentralization matter for regional disparities? A cross-country analysis,"
Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press,
Oxford University Press, vol. 10(5), pages 619-644, September.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2009. "Does Decentralization Matter for Regional Disparities? A Cross-Country Analysis," SERC Discussion Papers, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE 0025, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Roberto Ezcurra, 2009. "Does decentralization matter for regional disparities? A cross-country analysis," Working Papers, Instituto MadrileÃ±o de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales 2009-04, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2009. "Does decentralization matter for regional disparities? A cross-country analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 33244, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Romina Boarini & Lars Osberg & Francesca Modena & Concetta Rondinelli & Fabio Sabatini, 2014.
"Economic Insecurity and Fertility Intentions: The Case of Italy,"
Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 60, pages S233-S255, 05.
- Francesca Modena & Concetta Rondinelli & Fabio Sabatini, 2012. "Economic insecurity and fertility intentions: the case of Italy," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2012_18, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Francesca Modena & Concetta Rondinelli & Fabio Sabatini, 2013. "Economic insecurity and fertility intentions: the case of Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers), Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area 931, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Modena, Francesca & Rondinelli, Concetta & Sabatini, Fabio, 2012. "Economic insecurity and fertility intentions: the case of Italy," MPRA Paper 36353, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Torrisi, Gianpiero & Pike, Andy & Tomaney, John & Tselios, Vassilis, 2011. "(Re-)exploring the link between devolution and regional disparities in Italy," MPRA Paper 32212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anping Chen & Nicolaas Groenewold, 2013. "The national and regional effects of fiscal decentralisation in China," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 51(3), pages 731-760, December.
- Leonel Muinelo-Gallo & Andreas P. Kyriacou & Oriol Roca-Sagalés, 2013. "Fiscal decentralization and regional disparities: the importance of good governance," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers), Instituto de EconomÃa - IECON 13-03, Instituto de Economía - IECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.