Measuring multiple deprivation at the small-area level
AbstractIndices to measure deprivation at a small-area level have been used in the United Kingdom to target regeneration policy for over thirty years. The development of the Indices of Deprivation 2000 for England and comparable indices for Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland, involved a fundamental reappraisal and reconceptualisation of small-area level multiple deprivation and its measurement. Multiple deprivation is articulated as an accumulation of discrete dimensions or ‘domains’ of deprivation. This paper presents the key principles that were taken into consideration when constructing these four indices and the more recent English Indices of Deprivation 2004, and provides an account of the statistical techniques that were used to operationalise them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Noble & Gemma Wright, 2013. "Using Indicators of Multiple Deprivation to Demonstrate the Spatial Legacy of Apartheid in South Africa," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(1), pages 187-201, May.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2009-28 is not listed on IDEAS
- Twigg, Liz & Moon, Graham, 2013. "The spatial and temporal development of binge drinking in England 2001–2009: An observational study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 162-167.
- Claudia Coulton & Jill Korbin, 2007. "Indicators of child well-being through a neighborhood lens," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 84(3), pages 349-361, December.
- Norman, Paul & Boyle, Paul & Exeter, Daniel & Feng, Zhiqiang & Popham, Frank, 2011. "Rising premature mortality in the UK’s persistently deprived areas: Only a Scottish phenomenon?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(11), pages 1575-1584.
- Michael Noble & Helen Barnes & Gemma Wright & Benjamin Roberts, 2010. "Small Area Indices of Multiple Deprivation in South Africa," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 95(2), pages 281-297, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.