Agglomeration and firm performance: economies of scale, localisation, and urbanisation among Swedish export firms
AbstractIn the 1990s, there has been an increase in interest in the spatial agglomeration of similar and related firms and industries. The recent literature is, however, marked by a lack of balance between theoretical development and empirical validation of the importance of agglomeration economies. Our aim in this paper is to redress the balance by assessing empirically the impact of various types of agglomeration economies on export performance. Our study is based on a unique data set including all Swedish export firms. We find that localisation economies are not as important as recent theoretical contributions on industrial districts, new industrial spaces, and innovative milieus have led us to believe. Instead, traditional scale economies, together with urbanisation economies, have a larger effect on export performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danielle Galliano & Luis Orozco, 2013.
"New Technologies and Firm Organization: The Case of Electronic Traceability Systems in French Agribusiness,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 22-47, January.
- Danielle Galliano & Luis Orozco, 2013. "New technologies and firm organization : the case of electronic traceability systems in French agribusiness," Post-Print halshs-00846618, HAL.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis & Winkler, Deborah & Farole, Thomas, 2013.
"Geography and the Determinants of Firm Exports in Indonesia,"
Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 225-240.
- Farole, Thomas & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis & Winkler, Deborah, 2013. "Geography and the Determinants of Firm Exports in Indonesia," CEPR Discussion Papers 9342, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthias Duschl & Tobias Scholl & Thomas Brenner & Dennis Luxen & Falk Raschke, 2012.
"Industry-specific firm growth and aggolmeration,"
Working Papers on Innovation and Space
2012-06, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Aurora A.C. Teixeira & Marlene Grande, 2013. "Determinants of the economic performance of Portuguese Academic Spin-offs: do Science & Technology infrastructures and support matter?," FEP Working Papers 502, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Joshua Drucker, 2012. "The Spatial Extent of Agglomeration Economies: Evidence from Three U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 12-01, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Rachel BOCQUET (IREGE, IUT-University of Savoie) & Olivier BROSSARD (LEREPS-GRES), 2006. "Information Technologies (IT) Adoption and Localized Knowledge Diffusion: an Empirical Study," Cahiers du GRES 2006-17, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Drucker, Joshua & Feser, Edward, 2012. "Regional industrial structure and agglomeration economies: An analysis of productivity in three manufacturing industries," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 1-14.
- Shauna Phillips & Fredoun Z. Ahmadi-Esfahani, 2010. "Export market participation, spillovers, and foreign direct investment in Australian food manufacturing," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(3), pages 329-347.
- Diez-Vial, Isabel, 2011. "Geographical cluster and performance: The case of Iberian ham," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 517-525, August.
- Roberto Antonietti & Giulio Cainelli, 2011. "The role of spatial agglomeration in a structural model of innovation, productivity and export: a firm-level analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 577-600, June.
- Danielle Galliano & Pascale Roux, 2006. "Les inégalités spatiales dans l'usage des tic. Le cas des firmes industrielles françaises," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(6), pages 1449-1475.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.