A variance-stabilizing coding scheme for spatial link matrices
AbstractIn spatial statistics and spatial econometrics two coding schemesare used predominately. Except for some initial work, the properties ofboth coding schemes have not been investigated systematically. In this paper we do so for significant spatial processes specifiedas either a simultaneous autoregressive or a moving average process. Resultsshow that the C -coding scheme emphasizes spatialobjects with relatively large numbers of connections, such as those inthe interior of a study region. In contrast, the W -coding scheme assigns higher leverage to spatial objects with few connections,such as those on the periphery of a study region. To address this topology-induced heterogeneity, we design a novel S -coding scheme whose properties lie in between thoseof the C -coding and the W -coding schemes. To compare these three coding schemes within and across thedifferent spatial processes, we find a set of autocorrelation parameters that makes the processes stochastically homologous via a methodbased on the exact conditional expectation of Moran's I . In the new S -coding scheme thetopology induced heterogeneity can be removed in toto for Moran's I as well as for moving average processes and it canbe substantially alleviated for autoregressive processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christoph Grimpe & Roberto Patuelli, 2008.
"Regional Knowledge Production in Nanomaterials: A Spatial Filtering Approach,"
Working Paper Series
29-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Apr 2009.
- Christoph Grimpe & Roberto Patuelli, 2011. "Regional knowledge production in nanomaterials: a spatial filtering approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 519-541, June.
- Patuelli, Roberto & Grimpe, Christoph, 2008. "Knowledge Production in Nanomaterials: An Application of Spatial Filtering to Regional Systems of Innovation," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-064, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christoph Grimpe & Roberto Patuelli, 2008. "Knowledge Production in Nanomaterials : An Application of Spatial Filtering to Regional Systems of Innovation," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0806, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Efthymiou, D. & Antoniou, C., 2013. "How do transport infrastructure and policies affect house prices and rents? Evidence from Athens, Greece," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 1-22.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.