Regional systems of innovation: an evolutionary perspective
AbstractThe authors develop the concept of regional systems of innovation and relate it to preexisting research on national systems of innovation. They argue that work conducted in the 'new regional science' field is complementary to systems of innovation approaches. They seek to link new regional work to evolutionary economics, and argue for the development of evolutionary regional science. Common elements of interest to evolutionary innovation research and new regional science are important in understanding processes of agglomeration, trust building, innovation, institutions, and learning in regional systems. The authors develop analytical frameworks for designating regional systems of innovation in terms of distinction between institutions and organisations, hard and soft infrastructures, and the cultural superstructure. They conclude that an evolutionary approach assists understanding of regional potential for developing systemic innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David Keeble & Clive Lawson & Barry Moore & Frank Wilkinson, 1999. "Collective Learning Processes, Networking and 'Institutional Thickness' in the Cambridge Region," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 319-332.
- Tomi Tura & Vesa Harmaakorpi, 2005. "Measuring Regional Innovative Capability," ERSA conference papers ersa05p680, European Regional Science Association.
- Masao Nakamura & Robert Dalpé, 2003. "Interaction between public research organizations and industry in biotechnology," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2-3), pages 171-185.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- George Ramos & Domingos Santos, 2004. "The innovation system vs. cluster process: common contributive elements towards regional development," ERSA conference papers ersa04p462, European Regional Science Association.
- Ugo Fratesi, 2004.
"Regional Economies, Innovation and Competitiveness in a System Dynamics Representation,"
- Ugo FRATESI, 2004. "Regional Economies, Innovation and Competitiveness in a System Dynamics Representation," Working Papers 204, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Martin , Roman, 2013. "Differentiated Knowledge Bases and the Nature of Innovation Networks," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/14, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Ugo Fratesi, 2003.
"Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p327, European Regional Science Association.
- Ugo FRATESI, 2003. "Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities," Working Papers 186, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Christophe CARRINCAZEAUX (E3I-IFReDE-GRES) & Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO-IFReDE-GRES), 2006. "Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Cahiers du GRES 2006-29, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Leire Ozerin & Eva Velasco, 1998. "Shortages of innovation support organisations in the Basque country," ERSA conference papers ersa98p323, European Regional Science Association.
- Gál, Zoltán, 2002. "Innovation network building in the Hungarian region of South Transdanubia," ERSA conference papers ersa02p485, European Regional Science Association.
- Hodgkinson, A., 1999. "Employee Involvment and Participation in the Organisational Change Decision: Illawarra and Australian Patterns," Economics Working Papers wp99-7, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Sara Cruz & Aurora Teixeira, 2010. "The Evolution of the Cluster Literature: Shedding Light on the Regional Studies-Regional Science Debate," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1263-1288.
- Juan Ramón Gallego Bono, 2009. "La articulación local-global de sistemas territoriales de producción y de innovación," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 1, pages 53-82.
- Fratesi, Ugo, 2007. "The Spatial Diffusion of Innovations and the Evolution of Regional Disparities," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 11, pages 131-160.
- Guan, Jiancheng & Chen, Kaihua, 2012. "Modeling the relative efficiency of national innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 102-115.
- Stefan Luethi & Alain Thierstein & Michael Bentlage, 2011. "Interlocking firm networks in the German knowledge economy. On local networks and global connectivity," ERSA conference papers ersa10p120, European Regional Science Association.
- Pedro Valadas Monteiro & Teresa de Noronha & Paulo Neto, 2011. "The Importance of Clusters for Sustainable Innovation Processes: The Context of Small and Medium Sized Regions," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2011_24, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Block, Joern & Spiegel, Frank, 2011. "Family Firms and Regional Innovation Activity: Evidence from the German Mittelstand," MPRA Paper 28604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karlsson, Charlie & Johansson, Börje, 2006. "Regional Development and Knowledge," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 76, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Porfírio, José & Jacquinet, Marc & Carrilho, Tiago, 2009. "The Concept of Agricultural District and the Question of Rural Development," Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers 2009-3, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve.
- Edward Lorenz, 2011. "Regional Learning Dynamics and Systems of Education and Training: A European Comparison," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 481-506, December.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2011. "Regional heterogeneity and firms’ innovation: the role of regional factors in industrial R&D in India," MPRA Paper 28096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.