Unemployment and business formation rates: reconciling time-series and cross-section evidence
AbstractTime-series analyses generally show rates of business formation increasing with unemployment. In cross-section studies the areas with the highest rates of formation are generally those with the lowest levels of unemployment. In a study using both types of data, the negative cross-section relationship is confirmed but it is suggested that the time-series may be nonlinear, becoming negative at a critical unemployment level around 20%. The paper concludes with a reconciliation of these findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 21 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- A. Roy Thurik & Martin A. Carree & Andre van Stel & David B. Audretsch, 2007.
"Does Self-Employment reduce Unemployment?,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2007-089, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports N200504, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Audretsch, David B & Carree, Martin A & Thurik, A R Roy & van Stel, A J, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2007. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports H200709, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik & Andre van Stel & M.A. Carree, 2006. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Thurik, A. Roy & Carree, Martin A. & Stel, André van & Audretsch, David B., 2008. "Does self-employment reduce unemployment," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23097, Maastricht University.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006.
"Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Mathilde Aubry & Jean Bonnet & Patricia Renou-Maissant, 2013. "Business cycle and entrepreneurial behavior using French regional data," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201304, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Giacomin, Olivier & Janssen, Frank & Guyot, Jean-luc & Lohest, Olivier, 2011. "Opportunity and/or necessity entrepreneurship? The impact of the socio-economic characteristics of entrepreneurs," MPRA Paper 29506, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- José María Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2010. "Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 45-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.