Unemployment and business formation rates: reconciling time-series and cross-section evidence
AbstractTime-series analyses generally show rates of business formation increasing with unemployment. In cross-section studies the areas with the highest rates of formation are generally those with the lowest levels of unemployment. In a study using both types of data, the negative cross-section relationship is confirmed but it is suggested that the time-series may be nonlinear, becoming negative at a critical unemployment level around 20%. The paper concludes with a reconciliation of these findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 21 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 2475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thurik, A. Roy & Carree, Martin A. & van Stel, André & Audretsch, David B., 2008.
"Does self-employment reduce unemployment?,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 673-686, November.
- A. Roy Thurik & Martin A. Carree & Andre van Stel & David B. Audretsch, 2007. "Does Self-Employment reduce Unemployment?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-089, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports N200504, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2007. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports H200709, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Audretsch, David B & Carree, Martin A & Thurik, A R Roy & van Stel, A J, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik & Andre van Stel & M.A. Carree, 2006. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Sander Wennekers & Roy Thurik & André Stel & Niels Noorderhaven, 2007.
"Uncertainty avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976–2004,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 133-160, April.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Niels Noorderhaven, 2006. "Uncertainty avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976-2004," Scales Research Reports H200605, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Wennekers, A.R.M. & Thurik, A.R. & van Stel, A.J. & Noorderhaven, N., 2006. "Uncertainty Avoidance and the Rate of Business Ownership Across 21 OECD Countries, 1976-2004," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-065-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Giacomin, Olivier & Janssen, Frank & Guyot, Jean-luc & Lohest, Olivier, 2011. "Opportunity and/or necessity entrepreneurship? The impact of the socio-economic characteristics of entrepreneurs," MPRA Paper 29506, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mathilde Aubry & Jean Bonnet & Patricia Renou-Maissant, 2013. "Business cycle and entrepreneurial behavior using French regional data," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201304, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- José María Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2010. "Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 45-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.