Indicators of quality of life: some methodological issues
AbstractThe importance of combining 'subjective' and 'objective' indicators in assessing the quality of life has been increasingly stated as a research goal. A new methodology for measuring quality of life which is an attempt to satisfy this objective is discussed. It includes a perceptually derived set of weightings and 'objectively' measured indicators of social, economic, and environmental characteristics of the largest thirty-eight cities in Britain. The weighting system, the selected indicators, and the resulting rankings of British cities are assessed in comparison with the local prosperity index. The strength of the approach is shown to lie in the fact that this more closely reflects the evaluation process used by the public in assessing the quality of life.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 21 (1989)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paula Costa & JosÃ© Mendes & Rui Ramos, 2001. "Analysing the Portuguese Urban System from a Quality of Life Viewpoint," ERSA conference papers ersa01p28, European Regional Science Association.
- Mariano Torras, 2008. "The Subjectivity Inherent in Objective Measures of Well-Being," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 475-487, December.
- Vicente Royuela & Manuel Artis, 2006. "Convergence analysis in terms of quality of life in the urban systems of the Barcelona province, 1991-2000," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 485-492.
- Jen-Jia Lin & Yu-Hung Liu, 2012. "Developing regional cooperation strategies by multi-criteria decision making approaches," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 191-211, August.
- Dionysia Lambiri & Bianca Biagi & Vicente Royuela, 2007.
"Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature,"
Social Indicators Research, Springer,
Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 1-25, October.
- B. Biagi & D. Lambiri & V. Royuela, 2006. "Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature," Working Paper CRENoS 200610, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Robert Stimson & Prem Chhetri & John Western, 2006. "Deriving Spatial Metropolitan Wide Patterns of Quality of Life Dimensions From Survey Data: the Case of the Brisbane-South East Queensland Region in Australia," ERSA conference papers ersa06p42, European Regional Science Association.
- Elsa Tesfazghi & J. Martinez & J. Verplanke, 2010. "Variability of Quality of Life at Small Scales: Addis Ababa, Kirkos Sub-City," Social Indicators Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 73-88, August.
- Grothe, M. & Nijkamp, P. & Scholten, H.J., 1994.
"Monitoring residential quality for the elderly using a geographical information system,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0041, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Grothe, M. & Nijkamp, P. & Scholten, H.J., 1994. "Monitoring residential quality for the elderly using a geographical information system," Serie Research Memoranda 0041, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.