Specifying weights in spatial forecasting models: the results of some experiments
AbstractThe application of space - time forecasting models requires the specificaiton of a set of place-to-place weights. The existing literature contains several recommendations for this specificaiton. By a series of Monte Carlo simulations, various weighting rules are compared in terms of estimation of model parameters and accuracy of forecasts. It is shown that specification of the weights is important, especially when sample sizes are small and the data autocorrelated. Generally, the effective area of the weight function is more important than its distance decay.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pion Ltd, London in its journal Environment and Planning A.
Volume (Year): 14 (1982)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.pion.co.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alejandro Diaz-Bautista, 2005. "Convergence and Economic Growth considering Human Capital and R&D Spillovers Convergencia y Crecimiento Economico en Mexico considerando al Capital Humano y derrames en Investigacion y Desarrollo," Urban/Regional 0506012, EconWPA.
- Giacomini, Raffaella & Granger, Clive W. J., 2004.
"Aggregation of space-time processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 7-26.
- Raffaella Giacomini & Clive W.J. Granger, 2002. "Aggregation of Space-Time Processes," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 582, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Giacomini, Raffaella & Granger, Clive W.J., 2001. "Aggregationn of Space-Time Processes," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt77f76455, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Convergence and the effects of spatial interaction," HWWA Discussion Papers 110, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Sarafidis, Vasilis, 2009. "GMM Estimation of Short Dynamic Panel Data Models With Error Cross-Sectional Dependence," MPRA Paper 25176, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2002. "Spatial dependence of regional unemployment in the European Union," HWWA Discussion Papers 186, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Giuseppe Arbia & Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2009.
"Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions,"
Working Papers CELEG
0907, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Arbia, Giuseppe & Battisti, Michele & Di Vaio, Gianfranco, 2010. "Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 12-21, January.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2009. "Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 72/2009, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Räumliche Wachstumszusammenhänge - empirische Befunde für Deutschland," HWWA Discussion Papers 84, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Funke, Michael & Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Spatial R&D spillovers and economic growth : evidence from West Germany," HWWA Discussion Papers 98, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- André Matos Magalhães, 2001. "Clubes de Convergência no Brasil: uma Abordagem Com Correção Espacial," Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 076, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Matias Mayor Fernandez & Esteban Fernandez Vazquez & Jorge Rodriguez Valez, 2006. "Spatial Structures and Spatial Spillovers: A GME Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa06p777, European Regional Science Association.
- Gian Zaccomer & Pamela Mason, 2011. "A new spatial shift-share decomposition for the regional growth analysis: a local study of the employment based on Italian Business Statistical Register," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 329-356, August.
- Matías Mayor Fernández & Ana Jesús López Menéndez, 2005. "The spatial shift-share analysis - new developments and some findings for the Spanish case," ERSA conference papers ersa05p659, European Regional Science Association.
- Ruiz, Fernando & Gerard, Marcel, 2008. "Is there evidence of strategic corporate tax interaction among EU countries?," MPRA Paper 10094, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Neil Hammond).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.