Some New Evidence on the Incidence of Poverty in Pakistant
AbstractA number of studies have been done in the past to measure the level of poverty in Pakistan. These studies include Naseem (1973, 1977), Alauddin (1975), Mujahid (1979), Irfan and Amjad (1983), Kruijk and Leeuwen (1985) and Cheema (1985). The time periods covered by these studies are not the same. Moreover, in some cases the methodologies and results of these studies also differ. The present study covers the most recent data made available in the Household Income and Expenditure Survey (HIES) for 1984-85. Some selected previous Survey years have also been included in the study to see changes in poverty levels over time. The incidence of poverty is measured on the basis of both households and population. To determine the location of the poor, poverty levelshave been estimated for rural and urban areas of the country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 27 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S.M. Naseem, 1973. "Mass Poverty in Pakistan. Some Preliminary Findings," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 12(4), pages 317-360.
- Mohammad, Irfan & Amjad, Rashid, 1994. "Poverty in rural Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad Ali Bhatti & Rashida Haq & Tariq Javed, 1999. "A Sectoral Analysis of Poverty in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 859-872.
- Talat Anwar & Sarfraz K. Qureshi & Hammad Ali, 2004. "Landlessness and Rural Poverty in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 855-874.
- Salman Syed Ali & Sayyid Tahir, 1999. "Dynamics of Growth, Poverty, and Inequality in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 837-858.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.