Rizal’s Morga and insights into pre-Hispanic institutions and trade
AbstractThis essay demonstrates how Rizal’s annotations of Morga’s Sucesos de las Islas Filipinas can be used even today to derive insights useful for investigating pre-Hispanic economic and political institutions. This is done through a close reading of three broad topics treated by Rizal: first, the notion of a “confederation” of chiefs and the complexity of polities; second, the character of precolonial law and enforcement; and third, the engagement of pre-Hispanic polities in international trade. Finally the role of indigenously produced goods in the dynamics of chiefly rulership and foreign trade is discussed. The essay provides an analysis of the potential of pre-Hispanic research and possible directions for future efforts.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society in its journal Philippine Review of Economics.
Volume (Year): 48 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Rizal; Morga; pre-Hispanic; chiefly polities;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N01 - Economic History - - General - - - Development of the Discipline: Historiographical; Sources and Methods
- N45 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Asia including Middle East
- N75 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services - - - Asia including Middle East
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reuben T. Campos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.