Poverty in the Philippines : An Update and Reexamination
AbstractWhat is known, based on official poverty data, about spatial poverty profiles (regional, provincial, or rural vs. urban) as well as poverty changes in recent years, is not quiet robust. The main problem is that the official practice for poverty comparison is somewhat inconsistent. This paper is proposes a practical approach to measuring the poverty spatial/subgroup comparison, as well as for performance monitoring of efforts to reduce absolute poverty. The approach is employed to construct new poverty profiles based on nationwide household surveys covering the late 1990s. The paper also examines how initial living standards and socioeconomic characteristics have influenced household responses to the Asian economic crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society in its journal Philippine Review of Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
welfare; living standards; poverty; poverty lines;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lanzona, Leonardo & Aldaba, Fernando T. & Tamangan, Ronald J., 2004. "A National Policy Study on Child Labour and Development in the Philippines," Discussion Papers, Philippine Institute for Development Studies DP 2004-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Vodopivec, Milan & Raju, Dhushyanth, 2002. "Income support systems for the unemployed : issues and options," Social Protection Discussion Papers 25529, The World Bank.
- Abuzar Asra, 1999. "Urban-Rural Differences in Costs of Living and Their Impact on Poverty Measures," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 51-69.
- Datt, Gaurav & Hoogeveen, Hans, 2003.
"El Nino or El Peso? Crisis, Poverty and Income Distribution in the Philippines,"
World Development, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1103-1124, July.
- Datt, Gaurav & Hoogeveen, Hans, 2000. "El Nino or El Peso? Crisis, poverty, and income distribution in the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2466, The World Bank.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:pjd_2006_vol._xxxiii_nos._1and2-c is not listed on IDEAS
- Solita C. Monsod and Toby C. Monsod, 2003. "Philippines: Case Study on Human Development Progress Towards the MDG at the Sub-National Level," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007), Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) HDOCPA-2003-09, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Jose Ramon Albert & Wilma Molano, 2009. "Estimation of the Food Poverty Line," Development Economics Working Papers 22948, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2003. "Pathways from Poverty toward Middle Class: Determinants of Socio-economic Class Mobility in the Rural Philippines," MPRA Paper 23690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schady, Norbert R., 2001.
"Convexity and sheepskin effects in the human capital earnings function : recent evidence for Filipino men,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2566, The World Bank.
- Norbert R. Schady, 2003. "Convexity and Sheepskin Effects in the Human Capital Earnings Function: Recent Evidence for Filipino Men," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(2), pages 171-196, 05.
- Esguerra, Jude H. & Ogawa, Makoto & Vodopivec, Milan, 2002. "Options of public income support for the unemployed in the Philippines and social protection," Social Protection Discussion Papers 25509, The World Bank.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. & Molano, Wilma, 2009. "Estimation of the Food Poverty Line," Discussion Papers, Philippine Institute for Development Studies DP 2009-14, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reuben T. Campos).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.