Impact of Children on Household Savings in the Philippines
AbstractHousehold savings are important indicators of family welfare, not only in terms of a household's investment and income generation prospects, but also, and perhaps more importantly--given pervasive borrowing constraints and limited social security coverage--in terms of its ability to secure protection from income shortfalls. This article examines the relationship between household savings and family size. It also provides descriptive and multivariate evidence on the relationship of household savings and family size. It likewise uses a recent nationally representative household survey in the analysis. The results show that, on average, the impact of additional children on household savings is both negative and regressive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its journal Philippine Journal of Development.
Volume (Year): ()
Issue (Month): ()
Philippines; family size; household savings;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Browning & Annamaria Lusardi, 1995.
"Household Saving: Micro Theories and Micro Facts,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
1995-02, McMaster University.
- Lall, Somik V. & Suri, Ajay & Deichmann, Uwe, 2005. "Household savings and residential mobility in informal settlements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3596, The World Bank.
- Schultz, T. Paul, 2005.
"Demographic Determinants of Savings: Estimating and Interpreting the Aggregate Association in Asia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1479, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- T. Paul Schultz, 2004. "Demographic Determinants of Savings: Estimating and Interpreting the Aggregate Association in Asia," Working Papers 901, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C., 2005.
"Poverty, Vulnerability and Family Size: Evidence from the Philippines,"
DP 2005-19, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Aniceto C. Orbeta Jr., 2005. "Poverty, Vulnerability and Family Size : Evidence from the Philippines," Development Economics Working Papers 22671, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Leff, Nathaniel H, 1969. "Dependency Rates and Savings Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 886-96, December.
- Weil, David N, 1994. "The Saving of the Elderly in Micro and Macro Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 55-81, February.
- Paxson, Christina H, 1992. "Using Weather Variability to Estimate the Response of Savings to Transitory Income in Thailand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 15-33, March.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Neher, Philip A, 1971. "Peasants, Procreation, and Pensions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 380-89, June.
- Harris, Mark N & Loundes, Joanne & Webster, Elizabeth, 2002. "Determinants of Household Saving in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(241), pages 207-23, June.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Agar Brugiavini, 2003. "Social Security And Households' Saving," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 1075-1119, August.
- Lamberte, Mario B. & Bautista, Romeo M., . "Comparative Saving Behavior of Rural and Urban Households in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Mikesell, Raymond F & Zinser, James E, 1973. "The Nature of the Savings Function in Developing Countries: A Survey of the Theoretical and Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Hammer, Jeffrey S., 1986. "Children and savings in less developed countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 107-118, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.