Intergenerational Discount Rates in Long-term Plan Evaluation
AbstractThis paper provides a new contribution to the discussion on discount rates for social cost-benefit analysis of long-term plans, with a special emphasis on intergenerational problems. First, the use of the well-known net present value is critically discussed. Attention is focused on reinvestment possibilities; especially its shortcomings in long-run plan evaluation problems. The problem of multiple generations is then discussed. An adjusted intergenerational social discount rate is suggested, and its link with the conventional discount rate is formally be derived.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Public Finance = Finances publiques.
Volume (Year): 43 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joan Pasqual & Emilio Padilla, 2006.
"Environmental Management Problems, Future Generations And Social Decisions,"
The IUP Journal of Public Finance,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 15-59, August.
- Joan Pasqual & Emilio Padilla, 2005. "Environmental management problems, future generations and social decisions," Working Papers wpdea0502, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Pasqual, Joan & Souto, Guadalupe, 2003. "Sustainability in natural resource management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 47-59, August.
- Saez, Carmen Almansa & Requena, Javier Calatrava, 2007. "Reconciling sustainability and discounting in Cost-Benefit Analysis: A methodological proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 712-725, February.
- Padilla, Emilio, 2002. "Intergenerational equity and sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 69-83, April.
- Sumaila, Ussif R. & Walters, Carl, 2005. "Intergenerational discounting: a new intuitive approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 135-142, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.