The Effect of NAFTA on Mexican Agricultural Exports to the United States: The Case of Coffee Beans, 1970-2003
AbstractSince its implementation in 1994, NAFTA's impacts on trade have been extensively and positively evaluated at an aggregate level, but not so much at a regional or sectorial level. Through time series analysis, this paper studies NAFTA's impact on Mexican exports of coffee beans to the U.S. The study shows a NAFTA's positive, although short-lasting effect (for two-three years) on the studied variable, mainly because the international market of coffee beans used to function on a quota system, thus preventing Mexico from capitalizing (and furthering) on the comparative advantage derived from its location, close to the U.S. market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management in its journal Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance and Business Ventures.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
NAFTA; Mexico; Exports; Agriculture;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malaga, Jaime E. & Williams, Gary W. & Fuller, Stephen W., 2001. "US-Mexico fresh vegetable trade: the effects of trade liberalization and economic growth," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 45-55, October.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Craig Everett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.