Governance And Ownership Structure In Chilean Economic Groups
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to present a descriptive analysis of economic groups in Chile. It classifies the economic groups operating in the country, according to their ownership and governance patterns, describing typical ownership structures and concentration. From a governance perspective, groups in Chile are multi-layered structures. Some additional characteristics of groups are provided: i.e. diversification, size, ownership control and dispersion within the group, boards interlocking, and foreign participation in joint ventures with local groups. The Chilean structuring of groups is partly compared with the solutions implemented in Japan, Germany, England and the United States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its journal ABANTE.
Volume (Year): 1 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leff, Nathaniel H, 1978. "Industrial Organization and Entrepreneurship in the Developing Countries: The Economic Groups," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(4), pages 661-75, July.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Jensen, Michael C & Meckling, William H, 1979. "Rights and Production Functions: An Application to Labor-managed Firms and Codetermination," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 469-506, October.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Carlos Pombo & Luis H Gutierrez & Rodrigo Taborda, 2005.
"Ownership and Control in Colombian Corporations,"
BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN
003311, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Fernando Lefort & Eduardo Walker, 2005. "El efecto de las prácticas de gobierno corporativo sobre la valuación de mercado y políticas de pago de compañías chilenas," Research Department Publications 3211, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Fernando Lefort & Eduardo Walker, 2005. "The Effect of Corporate Governance Practices on Company Market Valuation and Payout Policy in Chile," Research Department Publications 3210, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Pablo Morán V, 2003. "Looking Back At The Controversy: Unexpected Wealth Effects Of A Transitory Clause," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 6(2), pages 117-147.
- Stephanou, Constantinos, 2005. "Supervision of financial conglomerates : the case of Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3553, The World Bank.
- Valentín Azofra Palenzuea & Paolo Saona Hoffmann & Eleuterio Vallelado González, 2004. "Estructura De Propiedad Y Oportunidades De Crecimiento Como Determinantes Del Endeudamiento De Las Empresas Chilenas," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 7(2), pages 105-145.
- Silva, Francisca & Majluf, Nicolas & Paredes, Ricardo D., 2006. "Family ties, interlocking directors and performance of business groups in emerging countries: The case of Chile," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 315-321, March.
- Alves, Paulo & Ferreira, Miguel, 2008. "Who Owns the Largest Firms Around the World?," MPRA Paper 52355, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laura T. Starks, 2000. "Corporate Governance And Institutional Investors: Implications For Latin America," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 2(2), pages 161-181.
- Manuel R. Agosin & Ernesto Pastén H., 2003. "Corporate Governance in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 209, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jorge Tarziján M, 1999. "Internal Capital Markets And Multimarket Contact As Explanations For Conglomerates In Emerging Markets," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 2(1), pages 3-22.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.