Governance And Ownership Structure In Chilean Economic Groups
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to present a descriptive analysis of economic groups in Chile. It classifies the economic groups operating in the country, according to their ownership and governance patterns, describing typical ownership structures and concentration. From a governance perspective, groups in Chile are multi-layered structures. Some additional characteristics of groups are provided: i.e. diversification, size, ownership control and dispersion within the group, boards interlocking, and foreign participation in joint ventures with local groups. The Chilean structuring of groups is partly compared with the solutions implemented in Japan, Germany, England and the United States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its journal ABANTE.
Volume (Year): 1 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Leff, Nathaniel H, 1978. "Industrial Organization and Entrepreneurship in the Developing Countries: The Economic Groups," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(4), pages 661-75, July.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Pablo Morán V, 2003. "Looking Back At The Controversy: Unexpected Wealth Effects Of A Transitory Clause," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 6(2), pages 117-147.
- Manuel R. Agosin & Ernesto Pastén H., 2003. "Corporate Governance in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 209, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jorge Tarziján M, 1999. "Internal Capital Markets And Multimarket Contact As Explanations For Conglomerates In Emerging Markets," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 2(1), pages 3-22.
- Alves, Paulo & Ferreira, Miguel, 2008. "Who Owns the Largest Firms Around the World?," MPRA Paper 52355, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laura T. Starks, 2000. "Corporate Governance And Institutional Investors: Implications For Latin America," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 2(2), pages 161-181.
- Luis H. Gutiérrez & Carlos Pombo & Rodrigo Taborda, 2005.
"Ownership and Control in Colombian Corporations,"
Research Department Publications
3220, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Fernando Lefort & Eduardo Walker, 2005. "The Effect of Corporate Governance Practices on Company Market Valuation and Payout Policy in Chile," Research Department Publications 3210, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Valentín Azofra Palenzuea & Paolo Saona Hoffmann & Eleuterio Vallelado González, 2004. "Estructura De Propiedad Y Oportunidades De Crecimiento Como Determinantes Del Endeudamiento De Las Empresas Chilenas," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 7(2), pages 105-145.
- Fernando Lefort & Eduardo Walker, 2005. "El efecto de las prácticas de gobierno corporativo sobre la valuación de mercado y políticas de pago de compañías chilenas," Research Department Publications 3211, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Silva, Francisca & Majluf, Nicolas & Paredes, Ricardo D., 2006. "Family ties, interlocking directors and performance of business groups in emerging countries: The case of Chile," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 315-321, March.
- Stephanou, Constantinos, 2005. "Supervision of financial conglomerates : the case of Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3553, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.