The Efficiency of European Container Terminals and Implications for Supply Chain Management
AbstractThis paper investigates the efficiency of container terminals within the context of global supply chain management. The efficiency and scale properties of 104 of Europe's container terminals with annual throughput of over 10,000 TEUs1 in 2003, distributed across 29 European countries, are derived using data envelopment analysis. The main findings are that significant inefficiency pervades most of the terminals under study and that large-scale production tends to be associated with higher efficiency. Terminals in the British Isles and Western Europe were found to be the most efficient, compared to their counterparts with the lowest efficiency in Scandinavian and Eastern European countries. Maritime Economics & Logistics (2006) 8, 82–99. doi:10.1057/palgrave.mel.9100151
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Maritime Economics & Logistics.
Volume (Year): 8 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gonzalez, M. & Trujillo, L., 2007. "Efficiency measurement in the port industry: a survey of the empirical evidence," Working Papers 07/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Caldeirinha, V. M., 2011. "Size and specialization as determinant of iberian port performance: new methodology to group different ports," MPRA Paper 31957, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pallis, Athanasios A. & Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2007. "Port governance models: Financial evaluation of Greek port restructuring," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 232-246, May.
- Ahmed Salem Al-Eraqi & Adli Mustafa & Ahamad Tajudin Khader, 2010. "An extended DEA windows analysis: Middle East and East African seaports," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 208-218, May.
- Odeck, James & Bråthen, Svein, 2012. "A meta-analysis of DEA and SFA studies of the technical efficiency of seaports: A comparison of fixed and random-effects regression models," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1574-1585.
- Caldeirinha, Vitor R. & Felicio, J. Augusto, 2011.
"A influência dos factores de caracterização dos portos no desempenho, medido por indicadores operacionais, financeiros e de eficiência
[The influence of factors characterizing the performance o," MPRA Paper 30009, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yan, Jia & Sun, Xinyu & Liu, John J., 2009. "Assessing container operator efficiency with heterogeneous and time-varying production frontiers," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 172-185, January.
- Vítor Caldeirinha & J. Augusto Felício & Andreia Dionísio, 2013. "The container terminal characteristics and customer’s satisfaction," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_14, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Talley, Wayne K. & Ng, ManWo, 2013. "Maritime transport chain choice by carriers, ports and shippers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 311-316.
- Ahmed Salem Al-Eraqi & Carlos Pestana Barros & Adli Mustaffa & Ahamad Tajudin Khader, 2007. "Evaluating the Location Efficiency of Arabian and African Seaports Using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA)," Working Papers 2007/19, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.