Efficiency in European Seaports with DEA: Evidence from Greece and Portugal
AbstractIn this paper, we compare the seaport efficiency of two European countries, Greece and Portugal, using data envelopment analysis (DEA). The international benchmarking procedure is implemented, in which the seaports in each country are compared against each other. The broader aim of this study is to seek out those best practices that will lead to improved performance in the context of European seaport policy. We rank the seaports according to their total productivity for the period 1998–2000. Economic implications arising from the study are considered. Maritime Economics & Logistics (2004) 6, 122–140. doi:10.1057/palgrave.mel.9100099
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Maritime Economics & Logistics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caldeirinha, Vitor R. & Felicio, J. Augusto, 2011.
"A influência dos factores de caracterização dos portos no desempenho, medido por indicadores operacionais, financeiros e de eficiência
[The influence of factors characterizing the performance o," MPRA Paper 30009, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cruijssen, F.C.A.M. & Dullaert, W. & Joro, T., 2006. "Logistic Efficiency Through Horizontal Cooperation: The Case of Flemish Road Transportation Companies," Discussion Paper 2006-14, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ahmed Salem Al-Eraqi & Carlos Pestana Barros & Adli Mustaffa & Ahamad Tajudin Khader, 2007. "Evaluating the Location Efficiency of Arabian and African Seaports Using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA)," Working Papers Department of Economics 2007/19, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Gonzalez, M. & Trujillo, L., 2007. "Efficiency measurement in the port industry: a survey of the empirical evidence," Working Papers 07/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Odeck, James & Bråthen, Svein, 2012. "A meta-analysis of DEA and SFA studies of the technical efficiency of seaports: A comparison of fixed and random-effects regression models," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1574-1585.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Shunsuke Managi, 2008. "Productivity Drivers in Japanese Seaports," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/15, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Pallis, Athanasios A. & Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2007. "Port governance models: Financial evaluation of Greek port restructuring," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 232-246, May.
- Ahmed Salem Al-Eraqi & Adli Mustafa & Ahamad Tajudin Khader, 2010. "An extended DEA windows analysis: Middle East and East African seaports," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 208-218, May.
- Mohamed M. Mostafa, 2011. "Modeling Islamic banks' efficiency: a non-parametric frontier approach," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 7-29, April.
- Cruijssen, F.C.A.M., 2006. "Horizontal Cooperation in Transport and Logistics," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-189742, Tilburg University.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Measuring seaports’ productivity: A Malmquist productivity index decomposition approach," MPRA Paper 40174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grace Wang & Chen Gao, 2012. "Technical Efficiency and Port Competition: Revisiting the Bohai Economic Rim, China," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(1), pages 115-130, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.