An Alternative Approach to Efficiency Measurement of Seaports
AbstractA whole series of changes in world economic order in the last decade such as globalisation of production and consumption, and structural changes in inter-port relations, port-hinterland relationships and logistics have strengthened the role of ports as nodes in the global transport system. In such an environment, port production economics plays an important role in port management considerations. This paper reviews approaches to performance measurement and provides an examination of the applicability of alternative (four-stage) Data Envelopment Analysis to seaport efficiency measurement. The study finds that alternative DEA is a potentially powerful approach to the evaluation of the overall efficiency of seaports. Maritime Economics & Logistics (2004) 6, 53–69. doi:10.1057/palgrave.mel.9100094
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Maritime Economics & Logistics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mislan Cokro, Widiyanto & Ismail, Abdul Ghafar, 2008.
"Sustainability of BMT financing for Developing Micro-enterprises,"
7434, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ismail, Abdul Ghafar & Mislan Condro, Widiyanto, 2008. "Sustainability of BMT financing for Developing Micro-enterprises," MPRA Paper 13746, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp192007 is not listed on IDEAS
- Odeck, James & Bråthen, Svein, 2012. "A meta-analysis of DEA and SFA studies of the technical efficiency of seaports: A comparison of fixed and random-effects regression models," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1574-1585.
- Caldeirinha, Vitor R. & Felicio, J. Augusto, 2011.
"A influência dos factores de caracterização dos portos no desempenho, medido por indicadores operacionais, financeiros e de eficiência
[The influence of factors characterizing the performance o," MPRA Paper 30009, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yan, Jia & Sun, Xinyu & Liu, John J., 2009. "Assessing container operator efficiency with heterogeneous and time-varying production frontiers," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 172-185, January.
- Gonzalez, M. & Trujillo, L., 2007. "Efficiency measurement in the port industry: a survey of the empirical evidence," Working Papers 07/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- González, MarIÂ´a Manuela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2008. "Reforms and infrastructure efficiency in Spain's container ports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 243-257, January.
- Prabir De & Abdur Rob Khan & Sachin Chaturvedi, 2008. "Transit and Trade Barriers in Eastern South Asia: A Review of the Transit Regime and Performance of Strategic Border-Crossings," Working Papers 5608, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Bichou, Khalid, 2013. "An empirical study of the impacts of operating and market conditions on container-port efficiency and benchmarking," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 28-37.
- Santiago Herrera & Gaobo Pang, 2006.
"Efficiency Of Infrastructure: The Case Of Container Ports,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
124, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Santiago Herrera & Gaobo Pang, 2008. "Eficiency of Infrastructure: The Case of Container Ports," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 9(1), pages 165-194.
- Caldeirinha, V. M., 2011. "Size and specialization as determinant of iberian port performance: new methodology to group different ports," MPRA Paper 31957, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.