The Environmental Determinants of Foreign Direct Manufacturing Investment: An Ex Post Empirical Analysis
AbstractThis article uses the techniques of quantitative cross-national research to explore the relationship between foreign direct investment (FDI) and the economic, social, and political aspects of the environment. Although a strong relationship is found between FDI and variables based upon political event data. The findings are consistent with a view of political discontinuities as necessary but not sufficient conditions for business risk.© 1976 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1976) 7, 29–42
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 7 (1976)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- G.U. Weitzel & S. Berns, 2006.
"Cross-border takeovers, corruption, and related aspects of governance,"
06-03, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Utz Weitzel & Sjors Berns, 2006. "Cross-border takeovers, corruption, and related aspects of governance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 786-806, November.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Moon, Hwy-Chang & Roehl, Thomas W., 2001. "Unconventional foreign direct investment and the imbalance theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 197-215, April.
- Zhen Quan Wang & Nigel Swain, 1997. "Determinants of Inflow of Foreign Direct Investment in Hungary and China: Time-Series Approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(5), pages 695-726.
- Christmann, Petra & Day, Diana & Yip, George S., 1999. "The relative influence of country conditions, industry structure, and business strategy on multinational corporation subsidiary performance," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 241-265.
- Verdu, Antonio J. & Gómez-Gras, José María & Martínez-Mateo, Jesús, 2012. "Value creation through production offshore–inshore strategies in a footwear industry cluster: A coevolutionary perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 342-356.
- Thomas, Douglas E. & Grosse, Robert, 2001. "Country-of-origin determinants of foreign direct investment in an emerging market: the case of Mexico," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 59-79.
- Allard, Gayle & Martinez, Candace A. & Williams, Christopher, 2012. "Political instability, pro-business market reforms and their impacts on national systems of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 638-651.
- Vladimír Benácek & Helena Lenihan & Bernadette Andreosso-O’Callaghan & Eva Michalíková & Denis Kan, 2012. "Political Risk, Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment: How Do They Relate in Various European Countries?," Working Papers IES 2012/24, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jul 2012.
- Slangen, Arjen H.L. & van Tulder, Rob J.M., 2009. "Cultural distance, political risk, or governance quality? Towards a more accurate conceptualization and measurement of external uncertainty in foreign entry mode research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 276-291, June.
- Hutzschenreuter, Thomas & Kleindienst, Ingo & Lange, Sandra, 2014. "Added Psychic Distance Stimuli and MNE Performance," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 38-54.
- Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad & Gubitz, Andrea & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1991. "Foreign direct investment in developing countries : the case of Germany," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 423, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2009. "Equity-based entry modes of emerging country multinationals: Lessons from Turkey," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 445-462, October.
- Oxley, Joanne E., 1999. "Institutional environment and the mechanisms of governance: the impact of intellectual property protection on the structure of inter-firm alliances," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 283-309, March.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Habib, M. & Zurawicki, L., 2001. "Country-level investments and the effect of corruption -- some empirical evidence," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 687-700, December.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Wich, Matthias, 2009. "A composite measure to determine a host country's attractiveness for foreign direct investment," IESE Research Papers D/833, IESE Business School.
- Stehn, Jürgen, 1990. "Determinanten internationaler Direktinvestitionen: eine kritische Analyse traditioneller Theorieansätze," Kiel Working Papers 412, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- George Peng & Paul Beamish, 2008. "The Effect of National Corporate Responsibility Environment on Japanese Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 80(4), pages 677-695, July.
- Hiemenz, Ulrich & Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad & Langhammer, Rolf J. & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Spinanger, Dean, 1991. "The international competitiveness of developing countries for risk capital," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 747, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.