Innovation and internationalization through exports
AbstractSuccessful product innovation leads to the decision by small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to enter the export market. We argue that in addition to a direct effect of innovation on exports, product innovation, through its effect on firm productivity, increases the likelihood of the firm entering the export market. Using a panel of Spanish manufacturing firms, we show that the strong positive association found between firm productivity and exports in the literature relates to the firm’s earlier innovation decisions, and that, when controlling for product innovation, the relationship between productivity and exports vanishes for these innovating firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 42 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lionel Fontagné & Pamina Koenig & Florian Mayneris & Sandra Poncet, 2013.
"Cluster Policies and Firm Selection: Evidence from France,"
PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique", HAL
- Lionel Fontagné & Pamina Koenig & Florian Mayneris & Sandra Poncet, 2013. "Cluster Policies And Firm Selection: Evidence From France," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 897-922, December.
- Denicolai, Stefano & Zucchella, Antonella & Strange, Roger, 2014. "Knowledge assets and firm international performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-62.
- Yi, Jingtao & Wang, Chengqi & Kafouros, Mario, 2013. "The effects of innovative capabilities on exporting: Do institutional forces matter?," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 392-406.
- Laursen, Keld & Salter, Ammon J., 2014. "The paradox of openness: Appropriability, external search and collaboration," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 867-878.
- Enrique López-Bazo & Elisabet Motellón, 2013.
"“Firm exports, innovation, … and regions”,"
IREA Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics
201308, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised May 2013.
- Enrique López-Bazo & Elisabet Motellón, 2013. "“Firm exports, innovation, … and regions”," AQR Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group 201305, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised May 2013.
- Deng, Ziliang & Guo, Honglin & Zhang, Weifu & Wang, Chengqi, 2014. "Innovation and survival of exporters: A contingency perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 396-406.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2013. "Dissecting the impact of innovation on exporting in Turkey," Working Papers, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali 388, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Giulia Felice, 2011.
"Are Exporters More Likely to Introduce Product Innovations?,"
Development Working Papers, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano
306, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 09 May 2011.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Giulia Felice, 2012. "Are Exporters More Likely to Introduce Product Innovations?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(11), pages 1559-1598, November.
- Dai, Li & Maksimov, Vladislav & Gilbert, Brett Anitra & Fernhaber, Stephanie A., 2014. "Entrepreneurial orientation and international scope: The differential roles of innovativeness, proactiveness, and risk-taking," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 511-524.
- Mitja Ruzzier & Jana Hojnik & Aleš Lipnik, 2013. "Relationship between Innovation and Internationalization of Slovenian Internationalized Companies," MIC 2013: Industry, Science and Policy Makers for Sustainable Future; Proceedings of the 14th International Conference, Koper, 21–23 November 2013 [Selected Papers], University of Primorska, Faculty, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper.
- Viroj Jienwatcharamongkhol & Mohammad Hossein Tavassoli, 2012. "Bridging Firmâ€™s Innovation, Productivity and Export: An Analysis using Swedish CIS data," ERSA conference papers ersa12p885, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.