Innovation and internationalization through exports
AbstractSuccessful product innovation leads to the decision by small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to enter the export market. We argue that in addition to a direct effect of innovation on exports, product innovation, through its effect on firm productivity, increases the likelihood of the firm entering the export market. Using a panel of Spanish manufacturing firms, we show that the strong positive association found between firm productivity and exports in the literature relates to the firm’s earlier innovation decisions, and that, when controlling for product innovation, the relationship between productivity and exports vanishes for these innovating firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 42 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enrique López-Bazo & Elisabet Motellón, 2013.
"“Firm exports, innovation, … and regions”,"
AQR Working Papers
201305, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised May 2013.
- Yi, Jingtao & Wang, Chengqi & Kafouros, Mario, 2013. "The effects of innovative capabilities on exporting: Do institutional forces matter?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 392-406.
- Denicolai, Stefano & Zucchella, Antonella & Strange, Roger, 2014. "Knowledge assets and firm international performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-62.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Giulia Felice, 2012.
"Are Exporters More Likely to Introduce Product Innovations?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(11), pages 1559-1598, November.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Giulia Felice, 2011. "Are Exporters More Likely to Introduce Product Innovations?," Development Working Papers 306, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 09 May 2011.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2013. "Dissecting the impact of innovation on exporting in Turkey," Working Papers 388, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.