International trade, exit and entry: A cross-country and industry analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of globalisation, by means of growing international trade, on firm entry and exit at the industry level. The analysis is carried on the manufacturing industries of eight European countries, over the period 1997–2003. Our main findings suggest important entry-discouraging effects in the short run, following increased trade exposure. Using panel estimation techniques, the empirical evidence points to less creative replacement entry in industries characterised by substantial import intensity, and strong selection and higher entry barriers in industries characterised by higher openness through the export channel. The negative effects of trade openness are milder if the increasing trade exposure concerns intra-industry trade, coupled mainly with international sourcing of intermediates within the industry. The latter effects also show up in the model explaining the exit of firms, which we estimate jointly with entry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 41 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Veerle Miranda & Marialuz Moreno Badia & Ilke Van Beveren, 2012.
"Globalization drives strategic product switching,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(1), pages 45-72, April.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/384919 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schröder, Philipp J.H. & Sørensen, Allan, 2012.
"Firm exit, technological progress and trade,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 579-591.
- Antonios Georgopoulos & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Vasilios Sogiakas, 2013. "Survival Characteristics and Adjustment of MNE Affiliates in the European Integrated Market," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 225, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Ina Charlotte Jäkel, 2013. "Import-push or Export-pull? An Industry-level Analysis of the Impact of Trade on Firm Exit," Economics Working Papers 2013-20, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.