Comparing capitalisms: understanding institutional diversity and its implications for international business
AbstractThis paper examines the role of institutional analysis within the field of international business (IB) studies. Within IB, institutions matter, but the view of institutions tends to be “thin”, utilizing summary indicators rather than detailed description, and thus approaches institutions as unidimensional “variables” that impact on particular facets of business activity. This paper argues that IB research would be usefully advanced by greater attention to comparing the topography of institutional landscapes and understanding their diversity. A number of alternative case-based approaches are outlined that draw on a growing “comparative capitalisms” literature in sociology and political science. The paper develops a number of empirical examples to show the utility and limits of these approaches for IB scholars. Journal of International Business Studies (2008) 39, 540–561. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400375
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gordon Redding & Michael Witt, 2009. "China’s business system and its future trajectory," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 381-399, September.
- Erkan Ozkaya, H. & Dabas, Chitra & Kolev, Kalin & Hult, G. Tomas M. & Dahlquist, Steven H. & Manjeshwar, Sonia Arun, 2013. "An assessment of hierarchical linear modeling in international business, management, and marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 663-677.
- Saka-Helmhout, Ayse, 2010. "Organizational learning as a situated routine-based activity in international settings," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 41-48, January.
- Dirk Christian Dohse & Robert Hassink & Claudia Klaerding, 2012. "Emerging multinationals, international knowledge flows and economic geography: a research agenda," Kiel Working Papers 1776, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gregory Jackson & Androniki Apostolakou, 2010. "Corporate Social Responsibility in Western Europe: An Institutional Mirror or Substitute?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 371-394, July.
- Griffith, David A. & Yalcinkaya, Goksel & Calantone, Roger J., 2010. "Do marketing capabilities consistently mediate effects of firm intangible capital on performance across institutional environments?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 217-227, July.
- Griffith, David A., 2010. "Understanding multi-level institutional convergence effects on international market segments and global marketing strategy," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Fogel, Kathy S. & Lee, Kevin K. & Lee, Wayne Y. & Palmberg, Johanna, 2013. "Foreign Investors as Change Agents: The Swedish Firm Experience," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 311, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Silvia Teuber & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2012. "How do companies adjust their organization to national institutions: evidence from matched-pair engineering companies," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0082, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Apr 2013.
- Candace Martinez & J. Bowen, 2013. "The Ethical Challenges of the UN’s Clean Development Mechanism," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 117(4), pages 807-821, November.
- Jan Lepoutre & Rachida Justo & Siri Terjesen & Niels Bosma, 2011. "Designing a Global Standardized Methodology for Measuring Social Entrepreneurship," Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series 1107, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised Sep 2011.
- Igor Filatotchev & Gregory Jackson & Chizu Nakajima, 2013. "Corporate governance and national institutions: A review and emerging research agenda," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 965-986, December.
- Frédérique Déjean & Stéphanie Giamporcaro & Jean-Pascal Gond & Bernard Leca & Elise Penalva-Icher, 2013. "Mistaking an Emerging Market for a Social Movement? A Comment on Arjaliès’ Social-Movement Perspective on Socially Responsible Investment in France," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 205-212, January.
- Yoshikawa, Toru & Rasheed, Abdul A. & Del Brio, Esther B., 2010. "The impact of firm strategy and foreign ownership on executive bonus compensation in Japanese firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(11), pages 1254-1260, November.
- Kiss, Andreea N. & Danis, Wade M. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2012. "International entrepreneurship research in emerging economies: A critical review and research agenda," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 266-290.
- Bobillo, Alfredo M. & López-Iturriaga, Felix & Tejerina-Gaite, Fernando, 2010. "Firm performance and international diversification: The internal and external competitive advantages," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 607-618, December.
- Li, Peng-Yu & Meyer, Klaus E., 2009. "Contextualizing experience effects in international business: A study of ownership strategies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 370-382, October.
- Stone, Zita & Filippaios, Fragkiskos & Stoian, Carmen, 2014. "Equity culture development in Central and Eastern Europe: The role of institutional and managerial factors," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 234-263.
- Jan Lepoutre & Rachida Justo & Siri Terjesen & Niels Bosma, 2013. "Designing a global standardized methodology for measuring social entrepreneurship activity: the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor social entrepreneurship study," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 693-714, April.
- Luke Wood, J. & Essien-Wood, Idara, 2012. "Capital identity projection: Understanding the psychosocial effects of capitalism on Black male community college students," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 984-995.
- Jean-Pascal Gond & Eva Boxenbaum, 2013. "The Glocalization of Responsible Investment: Contextualization Work in France and Québec," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 115(4), pages 707-721, July.
- Simón-Moya, Virginia & Revuelto-Taboada, Lorenzo & Guerrero, Rafael Fernández, 2014. "Institutional and economic drivers of entrepreneurship: An international perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 715-721.
- Frank Tipton, 2009. "Southeast Asian capitalism: History, institutions, states, and firms," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 401-434, September.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Goodell, John W., 2013. "Political-economy of pension plans: Impact of institutions, gender, and culture," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1860-1879.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.