Cross-Cultural Differences and Joint Venture Longevity
AbstractIn this paper we test whether national cross cultural differences between joint venture (JV) parents affect JV longevity by comparing that of two categories of JVs placed in the same environment, those between two or more Japanese parents on one hand, and those between Japanese and American parents, on the other. Carefully controlling for other factors that may affect JV longevity, we find that the longevity of Japanese-American JVs is lower than that of Japanese-Japanese JVs. Such effects, however, appear only for dissolutions that result from the sale of the venture to one of the partners, not for those due to liquidation or sale to a third party.© 2002 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2002) 33, 699–716
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lai, Jung-Ho & Chang, Shao-Chi & Chen, Sheng-Syan, 2010. "Is experience valuable in international strategic alliances?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 247-261, September.
- Pierre-Xavier Meschi, & Edson Luiz Riccio, 2006. "Analyse longitudinale de l’impact du risque-pays et des différences culturelles sur la survie des coentreprises internationales au brésil entre 1974 et 2005," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 9(4), pages 87-111, December.
- Delerue, Hélène & Simon, Eric, 2009. "National cultural values and the perceived relational risks in biotechnology alliance relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 14-25, February.
- Hsieh, Linda H.Y. & Rodrigues, Suzana B. & Child, John, 2010. "Risk perception and post-formation governance in international joint ventures in Taiwan: The perspective of the foreign partner," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 288-303, September.
- Nair, Anand & Hanvanich, Sangphet & Tamer Cavusgil, S., 2007. "An exploration of the patterns underlying related and unrelated collaborative ventures using neural network: Empirical investigation of collaborative venture formation data spanning 1985-2001," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 659-686, December.
- Ng, Paul Wai-Kit & Lau, Chung-Ming & Nyaw, Mee-Kau, 2007. "The effect of trust on international joint venture performance in China," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 430-448, December.
- Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Die Messung des Kooperationserfolges in der empirischen Forschung: Ergebnisse einer Literaturstudie," Arbeitspapiere 76, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Jiang, Marshall S. & Chu, Rongwei & Pan, Yigang, 2011. "Anticipated duration of international joint ventures: A transaction cost perspective," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 175-183, June.
- Chung, Chris Changwha & Beamish, Paul W., 2012. "Multi-party international joint ventures: Multiple post-formation change processes," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 648-663.
- García-Canal, Esteban & Sánchez-Lorda, Pablo, 2007. "One more only if it is one of us. The number of partners and the stock market reaction to domestic and international alliance formation in EU telecom firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 83-108, February.
- Lange, Kersten, 2011. "Faktoren der Stabilisierung für Unternehmenskooperationen," Arbeitspapiere 102, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Evangelista, Felicitas & Hau, Le Nguyen, 2009. "Organizational context and knowledge acquisition in IJVs: An empirical study," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 63-73, January.
- Ogasavara, Mario Henrique & Hoshino, Yasuo, 2007. "The impact of ownership, internalization, and entry mode on Japanese subsidiaries' performance in Brazil," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Meschi, Pierre-Xavier & Riccio, Edson Luiz, 2008. "Country risk, national cultural differences between partners and survival of international joint ventures in Brazil," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 250-266, June.
- Luo, Yadong, 2009. "Are we on the same page?: Justice agreement in international joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 383-396, October.
- Blanchot, Fabien, 2006. "Alliances et performances : un essai de synthèse," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2221, Paris Dauphine University.
- Nemeth, Alexander & Nippa, Michael, 2011. "Revisiting research on IJV exit: More questions than answers," Freiberg Working Papers 2011,03, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Nemeth, Alexander, 2012. "A framework of international joint ventures exit: A resource dependence and learning perspective," Freiberg Working Papers 2012,02, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Chiao, Yu-Ching & Yu, Chwo-Ming Joseph & Peng, Ju-Tzu Ann, 2009. "Partner nationality, market-focus and IJV performance: A contingent approach," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 238-249, July.
- Petrou, Andreas, 2007. "Multinational banks from developing versus developed countries: Competing in the same arena?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 376-397, September.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Ra, Wonchan & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2009. "Understanding IJV performance in a learning and conflict mediated context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 470-480, October.
- Hau, Le Nguyen & Evangelista, Felicitas, 2007. "Acquiring tacit and explicit marketing knowledge from foreign partners in IJVs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(11), pages 1152-1165, November.
- Slangen, Arjen H.L. & van Tulder, Rob J.M., 2009. "Cultural distance, political risk, or governance quality? Towards a more accurate conceptualization and measurement of external uncertainty in foreign entry mode research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 276-291, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.