National and Organizational Culture Differences and International Joint Venture Performance
AbstractThis study examines the effect of dimensions of national and organizational culture differences on international joint venture (IJV) performance. Based on data from a survey of executives from joint ventures between Indian partners and partners from other countries, we found that the presumed negative effect from culture distance on IJV performance originates more from differences in organizational culture than from differences in national culture.© 2002 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2002) 33, 243–265
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cui, Anna Shaojie & Griffith, David A. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Dabic, Marina, 2006. "The influence of market and cultural environmental factors on technology transfer between foreign MNCs and local subsidiaries: A Croatian illustration," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 100-111, June.
- Michael STOICA & Liviu FLOREA & Edit LUKACS, 2011.
"Small Business Struggle in a Developing Economy:Does Organizational Culture Matter?,"
Risk in Contemporary Economy,
"Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, pages 197-208.
- Michael STOICA & Liviu FLOREA & Edit LUKÁCS, 2012. "Small Business Struggle in a Developing Economy:Does Organizational Culture Matter?," Economics and Applied Informatics, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 3, pages 5-14.
- Mukherji, Ananda & Mukherji, Jyotsna & Dibrell, Clay & Francis, John D., 2013. "Overbidding in cross-border acquisitions: Misperceptions in assessing and valuing knowledge," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 39-46.
- Li Dong & Keith Glaister, 2007. "National and corporate culture differences in international strategic alliances: Perceptions of Chinese partners," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 191-205, June.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Carlos Devece & Chao Chen & Vijay Pothukuchi, 2012. "Organizational culture and partner interaction in the management of international joint ventures in India," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 453-478, June.
- Nemeth, Alexander, 2012. "A framework of international joint ventures exit: A resource dependence and learning perspective," Freiberg Working Papers 2012,02, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Die Messung des Kooperationserfolges in der empirischen Forschung: Ergebnisse einer Literaturstudie," Arbeitspapiere 76, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Mohr, Alexander T., 2006. "A multiple constituency approach to IJV performance measurement," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 247-260, September.
- Nielsen, Bo Bernhard, 2007. "Determining international strategic alliance performance: A multidimensional approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 337-361, June.
- Yeheskel, Orly & Newburry, William & Zeira, Yoram, 2004. "Significant differences in the pre- and post-incorporation stages of equity international joint ventures (IJVs) and international acquisitions (IAs), and their impacts on effectiveness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 613-636, October.
- Ito, Satoshi & Fujimura, Shuzo & Tamiya, Toshihiko, 2012. "Does cultural assimilation affect organizational decision-making on quality-related incidents? — A company's post-M&A experience," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 160-179.
- Wu Zhan & Roger (Rongxin) Chen, 2013. "Dynamic capability and IJV performance: The effect of exploitation and exploration capabilities," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 601-632, June.
- Blanchot, Fabien, 2006. "Alliances et performances : un essai de synthèse," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2221, Paris Dauphine University.
- Somnath Lahiri, 2011. "India-focused publications in leading international business journals," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 427-447, June.
- Rosenbusch, Nina & Brinckmann, Jan & Bausch, Andreas, 2011. "Is innovation always beneficial? A meta-analysis of the relationship between innovation and performance in SMEs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 441-457, July.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2007. "Factors influencing perceptions of performance: The case of western FDI in an emerging market," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 310-336, June.
- Buck, Trevor & Liu, Xiaohui & Ott, Ursula, 2010. "Long-term orientation and international joint venture strategies in modern China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 223-234, June.
- Meschi, Pierre-Xavier & Riccio, Edson Luiz, 2008. "Country risk, national cultural differences between partners and survival of international joint ventures in Brazil," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 250-266, June.
- Emanuela Delbufalo, 2012. "Subjective trust, perceived risk and exchange performance in buyer-supplier relationships," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_10.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Vilana Arto, J.R & Rodríguez Monroy, C., 2010. "Marco Conceptual De Una Cultura Sistémica En Las Redes Virtuales De Fabricación Global / Conceptual Frame Of A Systemic Culture In Global Manufacturing Virtual Networks," Investigaciones Europeas de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (IEDEE), Academia Europea de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (AEDEM), vol. 16(2), pages 137-163.
- Kaufmann, Jeffrey B. & O'Neill, Hugh M., 2007. "Do culturally distant partners choose different types of joint ventures?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 435-448, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.