Guanxi Versus the Market: Ethics and Efficiency
AbstractGuanxi refers to a Chinese system of doing business on the basis of personal relationships, and it is representative of the way that business is done throughout much of the non-western world. In this paper we first evaluate guanxi from an ethical perspective, and then attempt to shed light on the sources of its economic advantages and disadvantages through the use of a simple mathematical model. Finally, we point out how eastern and western business practices may already be converging toward systems based on more complete models of trust to deal with the conditions of progress coupled with uncertainty that form our new economic reality.© 1999 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1999) 30, 231–247
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Buckley, Peter J. & Clegg, Jeremy & Tan, Hui, 2006. "Cultural awareness in knowledge transfer to China--The role of guanxi and mianzi," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 275-288, September.
- Lau, Victor P. & Dimitrova, Mihaela N. & Shaffer, Margaret A. & Davidkov, Tzvetan & Yordanova, Desislava I., 2012. "Entrepreneurial Readiness and Firm Growth: An Integrated Etic and Emic Approach," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 147-159.
- Adam Nguyen & Wesley Cragg, 2012. "Interorganizational Favour Exchange and the Relationship Between Doing Well and Doing Good," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 105(1), pages 53-68, January.
- Marble, Robert P. & Lu, Yiping, 2007. "Culturalizing enterprise software for the Chinese context: An argument for accommodating guanxi-based business practices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 364-379, June.
- Quey-Jen Yeh & Xiaojun Xu, 2010. "The Effect of Confucian Work Ethics on Learning About Science and Technology Knowledge and Morality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 95(1), pages 111-128, August.
- Jianjun Yang & Huafang Liu & Shanxing Gao & Yuan Li, 2012. "Technological innovation of firms in China: Past, present, and future," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 819-840, September.
- Liang-Hung Lin, 2011. "Cultural and Organizational Antecedents of Guanxi: The Chinese Cases," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 441-451, March.
- Dennis Hwang & Patricia Golemon & Yan Chen & Teng-Shih Wang & Wen-Shai Hung, 2009. "Guanxi and Business Ethics in Confucian Society Today: An Empirical Case Study in Taiwan," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 235-250, October.
- Mary Teagarden & Andreas Schotter, 2013. "Favor prevalence in emerging markets: A multi-level analysis," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 447-460, June.
- Andersen, Poul Houman, 2006. "Listening to the global grapevine: SME export managers' personal contacts as a vehicle for export information generation," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 81-96, February.
- Olwen Bedford, 2011. "Guanxi-Building in the Workplace: A Dynamic Process Model of Working and Backdoor Guanxi," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 149-158, November.
- Cai, Shaohan & Yang, Zhilin & Hu, Zuohao, 2009. "Exploring the governance mechanisms of quasi-integration in buyer-supplier relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(6), pages 660-666, June.
- Kriz, Anton & Keating, Byron W., 2010. "Business relationships in China: Lessons about deep trust," MPRA Paper 40427, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dancho Danchev, 2007. "The Chinese Approach to the Relationship Marketing (GUANXI)," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 65-93.
- Xiaohua Yang & Elly Ho & Artemis Chang, 2012. "Integrating the resource-based view and transaction cost economics in immigrant business performance," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 753-772, September.
- Krug, B., 2006. "Enterprise Ground Zero in China," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-024-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Qin, Zhong, 2011. "Models of trust-sharing in Chinese private enterprises," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1017-1029, May.
- Fan, Ying, 2002. "Questioning guanxi: definition, classification and implications," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 543-561, October.
- Fu, Wenying & Revilla Diez, Javier & Schiller, Daniel, 2013. "Interactive learning, informal networks and innovation: Evidence from electronics firm survey in the Pearl River Delta, China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 635-646.
- Ding, Lan & Li, Haizheng, 2012. "Social networks and study abroad — The case of Chinese visiting students in the US," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 580-589.
- Trimarchi, Michael & Tamaschke, Rick, 2004. "Coordinations in business interactions between Hong Kong Chinese, mainland Chinese, and Western actors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 331-357, June.
- Johnson, Karen L. & Duxbury, Linda, 2010. "The view from the field: A case study of the expatriate boundary-spanning role," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 29-40, January.
- Meiling Wong, 2010. "Guanxi Management as Complex Adaptive Systems: a Case Study of Taiwanese ODI in China," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 91(3), pages 419-432, February.
- En Xie & Mike Peng & Wenhong Zhao, 2013. "Uncertainties, resources, and supplier selection in an emerging economy," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 1219-1242, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.