Export Intermediary Firms: A Note on Export Development Research
AbstractBuilding on Leonidou and Katsikeas' (1996) review of the export development literature, we identify an important missing link in existing research: the role of export intermediaries as an organizational form connecting domestic manufacturers and foreign buyers. In response, a new research agenda drawing on the transaction cost and resource-based perspectives is advanced. This agenda focuses on why export intermediaries are selected by manufacturers in their channel choice decisions, and why some intermediaries outperform others. The paper closes with discussions of research, practice, and public policy implications.© 1998 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1998) 29, 609–620
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 29 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tsui-Yii Shih & Rumintha Wickramasekera, 2011. "Export decisions within Taiwanese electrical and electronic SMEs: The role of management characteristics and attitudes," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 353-377, June.
- Peng, Mike W. & Lee, Seung-Hyun & Hong, Sungjin J., 2014. "Entrepreneurs as intermediaries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 21-31.
- Zoltan Acs & Siri Terjesen, 2013. "Born local: toward a theory of new venture’s choice of internationalization," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 521-535, October.
- Tiessen, James H. & Wright, Richard W. & Turner, Ian, 2001. "A model of e-commerce use by internationalizing SMEs," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 211-233.
- Virginie Baritaux & Magali Aubert & Etienne Montaigne & Hervé Remaud, 2005.
"Matchmakers in Wine Marketing Channels : The Case of French Wine Brokers,"
- Virginie Baritaux & Magali Aubert & Etienne Montaigne & Hervé Remaud, 2006. "Matchmakers in wine marketing channels: The case of French wine brokers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 375-390.
- Jolanda Hessels & Siri Terjesen, 2010. "Resource dependency and institutional theory perspectives on direct and indirect export choices," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 203-220, February.
- Chetty, Sylvie & Blankenburg Holm, Desiree, 2000. "Internationalisation of small to medium-sized manufacturing firms: a network approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 77-93, February.
- JaeBin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010.
"The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
15706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jens Krüger, 2009. "How Do Firms Organize Trade? Evidence from Ghana," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 449, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Peng, Mike W. & Zhou, Yuanyuan & York, Anne S., 2006. "Behind make or buy decisions in export strategy: A replication and extension of Trabold," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 289-300, September.
- Matanda, Margaret Jekanyika & Freeman, Susan, 2009. "Effect of perceived environmental uncertainty on exporter-importer inter-organisational relationships and export performance improvement," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 89-107, February.
- Ho-Fuk Lau, 2008. "Export channel structure in a newly industrialized economy," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 317-333, June.
- Wilkinson, Timothy & Brouthers, Lance Eliot, 2006. "Trade promotion and SME export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Weiner, Robert, 2006. "Do Crises Tear the Fabric of Oil Trade?," Discussion Papers dp-06-16, Resources For the Future.
- Trabold, Harald & Parvati Trubswetter & Philipp J H Schroder, 2003.
"Intermediation in Foreign Trade: When do Exporters Rely on Intermediaries?,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
206, Royal Economic Society.
- Philipp J. H. Schröder & Harald Trabold & Parvati Trübswetter, 2003. "Intermediation in Foreign Trade: When Do Exporters Rely on Intermediaries?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 336, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Andy Lockett & Mike Wright & Andrew Burrows & Louise Scholes & Dave Paton, 2008. "The export intensity of venture capital backed companies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 39-58, June.
- Parhizkar, Omid & Miller, Chad R. & Smith, Robert L., 2010. "Private sector development implications of the export performance determinants of U.S. small-medium forest enterprises to Mexico, Europe, and Asia," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 387-396, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.