Cooperative Strategies between Foreign Firms in an Overseas Country
AbstractIn this paper, we study the cooperative strategies between two firms in an overseas country. In part 1, we examine the circumstances under which foreign firms would cooperate with another foreign firm in a third country market. Drawing upon existing literature, we develop and test a set of hypotheses using a longitudinal data set from China. The types of cooperative arrangements include all the major modes of operation. In part 2, we further investigate what types of operation and level of control exist among the cooperative arrangements between two foreign firms in China. We used a sample of 483 cooperative arrangements between two firms from Hong Kong, the U.S., Japan, Germany, or Britain. This study offers interesting insight as to why foreign firms form cooperative arrangements in an overseas country and what types of cooperative arrangements these firms prefer.© 1996 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1996) 27, 929–946
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 27 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhou, Dongsheng & Li, Shaomin & Tse, David K., 2002. "The impact of FDI on the productivity of domestic firms: the case of China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 465-484, August.
- Huang, Yasheng & Di, Wenhua, 2004.
"A Tale of Two Provinces: The Institutional Environment and Foreign Ownership in China,"
4482-04, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Yasheng Huang & Wenhua Di, 2004. "A Tale of Two Provinces: The Institutional Environment and Foreign Ownership in China," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-667, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- López-Navarro, Miguel Á. & Camisón-Zornoza, César, 2003. "The effect of group composition and autonomy on the performance of joint ventures (JVs): an analysis based on Spanish export JVs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 17-39, February.
- O'Connor, Neale G. & Luo, Yadong & Lee, Danny K. Y., 2001. "Self-selection, socialization and budget control in the PRC: a study of a U.S.-Sino joint venture and Chinese state-owned enterprise," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 135-148, May.
- Peng, Mike W. & Lu, Yuan & Shenkar, Oded & Wang, Denis Y. L., 2001. "Treasures in the China house: a review of management and organizational research on Greater China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 95-110, May.
- Hanna Kuittinen & Kalevi Kyläheiko & Jaana Sandström & Ari Jantunen, 2009. "Cooperation governance mode: an extended transaction cost approach," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 303-323, November.
- Sim, A.B & Ali, Yunus, 1998. "Performance of international joint ventures from developing and developed countries: An empirical study in a developing country context," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 357-377, January.
- Walsh, James P. & Wang, ErPing & Xin, Katherine R., 1999. "Same bed, different dreams: working relationships in Sino--American joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 69-93, April.
- Jing Yang & Frank Tipton & Jiatao Li, 2011. "A review of foreign business management in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 627-659, September.
- Yue Wang & Stephen Nicholas, 2007. "The formation and evolution of non-equity strategic alliances in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 131-150, June.
- Pan, Yigang & Li, Xiaolian, 1998. "Alliance of foreign firms in equity joint ventures in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 329-350, August.
- Canabal, Anne & White III, George O., 2008. "Entry mode research: Past and future," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 267-284, June.
- Morschett, Dirk & Schramm-Klein, Hanna & Swoboda, Bernhard, 2010. "Decades of research on market entry modes: What do we really know about external antecedents of entry mode choice?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 60-77, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.