Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a firm: A Comment
AbstractSullivan's  suggestion that an index measure of the internationalization construct is superior to single-variable measures is critiqued on psychometric, content validity, criterion validity, reliability, and utilitarian grounds. We argue that internationalization is more complex than envisioned by this index and suggest that further refinement of the construct is necessary before constructing indices.© 1996 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1996) 27, 167–177
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 27 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fortanier, Fabienne & Tulder, Rob van, 2008. "Internationalization trajectories - a crosscountry comparison: Are large Chinese and Indian companies different?," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 054, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2007. "Examining the relationship between firm internationalization and firm performance: A nonparametric analysis," MPRA Paper 32082, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Riahi-Belkaoui, Ahmed, 1998. "The effects of the degree of internationalization on firm performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 315-321, June.
- Curwen, Peter & Whalley, Jason, 2006. "Measuring internationalisation in the mobile telecommunications industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 660-681, December.
- Joseph, Nathan Lael, 2000. "The choice of hedging techniques and the characteristics of UK industrial firms," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 161-184, June.
- Ethiopia Segaro, 2012. "Internationalization of family SMEs: the impact of ownership, governance, and top management team," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 147-169, February.
- Akhter, Syed H., 2004. "Is globalization what it's cracked up to be? Economic freedom, corruption, and human development," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 283-295, August.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Berrill, Jenny & Hutson, Elaine & Kearney, Colm, 2011. "What is a multinational corporation? Classifying the degree of firm-level multinationality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 557-577, October.
- Verbeke, Alain & Brugman, Paul, 2009. "Triple-testing the quality of multinationality-performance research: An internalization theory perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 265-275, June.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Garvis, Dennis M., 2000. "International corporate entrepreneurship and firm performance: The moderating effect of international environmental hostility," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 469-492.
- Xiao, Simon Shufeng & Jeong, Insik & Moon, Jon Jungbien & Chung, Chris Changwha & Chung, Jaiho, 2013. "Internationalization and Performance of Firms in China: Moderating Effects of Governance Structure and the Degree of Centralized Control," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 118-137.
- Walid Hejazi & Eric Santor, 2005. "Degree of Internationalization and Performance: An Analysis of Canadian Banks," Working Papers 05-32, Bank of Canada.
- Fortanier, Fabienne & Tulder, Rob van, 2008. "Internationalization trajectories - a crosscountry comparison: Are large Chinese and Indian companies different?," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Rugman, Alan M. & Oh, Chang Hoon, 2010. "Does the regional nature of multinationals affect the multinationality and performance relationship?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 479-488, October.
- Sapienza, Harry J. & De Clercq, Dirk & Sandberg, William R., 2005. "Antecedents of international and domestic learning effort," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 437-457, July.
- Sherman, Hugh D. & Kashlak, Roger J. & Joshi, Maheshkumar P., 1998. "The effect of the board and executive committee characteristics on the degree of internationalization," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 311-335, December.
- Garbe, Jan-Nicolas & Richter, Nicole Franziska, 2009. "Causal analysis of the internationalization and performance relationship based on neural networks -- advocating the transnational structure," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 413-431, December.
- Christophe, Stephen E. & Lee, Hun, 2005. "What matters about internationalization: a market-based assessment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 636-643, May.
- H. J. Sapienza & D. De Clercq & W. R. Sandberg, 2004. "Antecedents of international and domestic learning effort," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/278, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Hadley, Richard D. & Wilson, Heather I. M., 2003. "The network model of internationalisation and experiential knowledge," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 697-717, December.
- Pham Hoanh Son Nguyen, 2007. "Un modèle intégrateur des effets de l'internationalisation sur la performance de l'entreprise," Post-Print hal-00363866, HAL.
- Chittoor, Raveendra & Ray, Sougata & Aulakh, Preet S. & Sarkar, M.B., 2008. "Strategic responses to institutional changes: 'Indigenous growth' model of the Indian pharmaceutical industry," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 252-269, September.
- Oesterle, Michael-Jörg & Richta, Hannah Noriko & Fisch, Jan Hendrik, 2013. "The influence of ownership structure on internationalization," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 187-201.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.