Strategic and Financial Performance Implications of Global Sourcing Strategy: A Contingency Analysis
AbstractUsing a contingency model of global sourcing strategy, this study investigated the moderating effects of sourcing-related factors on the relationship between sourcing strategy and a product's strategic and financial performance. The results lent some support to the contingency model of global sourcing strategy in that product innovation, process innovation and asset specificity were significant moderator variables for financial, but not strategic, performance. However, the results provided no support for bargaining power of suppliers and transaction frequency as moderator variables. In other words, in achieving high financial performance for a product, whether a particular sourcing strategy should be used for a particular product depended on the levels of product innovation, process innovation and asset specificity.© 1995 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1995) 26, 181–202
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 26 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miguel Cruz, Antonio & Maria Rios Rincon, Adriana, 2012. "Medical device maintenance outsourcing: Have operation management research and management theories forgotten the medical engineering community? A mapping review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(1), pages 186-197.
- Tate, Wendy L. & Ellram, Lisa M. & Bals, Lydia & Hartmann, Evi, 2009. "Offshore outsourcing of services: An evolutionary perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 512-524, August.
- Yang, Jie, 2010. "The knowledge management strategy and its effect on firm performance: A contingency analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(2), pages 215-223, June.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Palihawadana, Dayananda & Chari, Simos & Leonidou, Constantinos N., 2011. "Drivers and outcomes of importer adaptation in international buyer-seller relationships," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 527-543, October.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Michal Grajek, 2006.
"The Impact of ISO 9000 Diffusion on Trade and FDI: A New Institutional Analysis,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2006-22, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Joseph A Clougherty & Michał Grajek, 2008. "The impact of ISO 9000 diffusion on trade and FDI: A new institutional analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 613-633, June.
- Clougherty, Joseph A & Grajek, Michal, 2006. "The Impact of ISO 9000 Diffusion on Trade and FDI: A New Institutional Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 6026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clougherty, Joseph A. & Grajek, Michal, 2006. "The Impact of ISO 9000 Diffusion on Trade and FDI: A New Institutional Analysis," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 179, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Nordin, Fredrik, 2008. "Linkages between service sourcing decisions and competitive advantage: A review, propositions, and illustrating cases," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 40-55, July.
- Mol, Michael J. & van Tulder, Rob J.M. & Beije, Paul R., 2005. "Antecedents and performance consequences of international outsourcing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 599-617, October.
- Samli, A. Coskun & Browning, John M. & Busbia, Carolyn, 1998. "The Status of Global Sourcing as a Critical Tool of Strategic Planning:: Opportunistic Versus Strategic Dichotomy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 177-187, November.
- Brun, Alessandro & Zorzini, Marta, 2009. "Evaluation of product customization strategies through modularization and postponement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 205-220, July.
- Allred, Brent B. & Park, Walter G., 2007. "The influence of patent protection on firm innovation investment in manufacturing industries," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 91-109, June.
- He, Qile & Ghobadian, Abby & Gallear, David, 2013. "Knowledge acquisition in supply chain partnerships: The role of power," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 605-618.
- Golini, Ruggero & Kalchschmidt, Matteo, 2011. "Moderating the impact of global sourcing on inventories through supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 86-94, September.
- Li, Zhan G. & Murray, L. William & Scott, Don, 2000. "Global Sourcing, Multiple Country-of-Origin Facets, and Consumer Reactions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 121-133, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.