Trends in International Business Research: Twenty-Five Years Later
AbstractInternational business (IB) research has made enormous strides in the quarter century since JIBS was inaugurated. This article reflects upon the development of IB research during that period. It first reviews the findings and recommendations of a comprehensive survey of the embryonic field of IB research, conducted twenty-five years ago. Several early trends identified then are discussed: the astonishing acceleration in the pace of IB research; the broadening of research activity across a greater range of functional areas; and an expanding geographic base of research outside of North America, especially in Europe. We then discuss the evolution of IB research since that formative period; growing breadth and diversity; greater methodological sophistication; a move toward research transcending traditional functional boundaries; development of new research areas such as management information systems and international coalitions and alliances; research on the phenomenon of transnational firms as complete systems; and the continued broadening of the geographic base of research. Emerging research areas such as international entrepreneurship and small business, and the greening of business, are identified. The article concludes with calls for more research collaboration across national boundaries, and for greater synthesis for research into broader, more integrative frameworks.© 1994 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1994) 25, 687–701
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 25 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aleluia, João & Leitão, João, 2009. "International Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer: The CDM´s Reality in China," MPRA Paper 16150, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Falbe, Cecilia M. & Welsh, Dianne H. B., 1998. "NAFTA and franchising: A comparison of franchisor perceptions of characteristics associated with franchisee success and failure in Canada, Mexico, and the United States," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 151-171, March.
- Tobias Kollmann & Julia Christofor, 2014. "International entrepreneurship in the network economy: Internationalization propensity and the role of entrepreneurial orientation," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 43-66, March.
- Qian, Gongming, 2002. "Multinationality, product diversification, and profitability of emerging US small- and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 611-633, October.
- Boddewyn, Jean J., 1999. "The domain of international management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-14.
- Seno-Alday, Sandra, 2010. "International business thought: A 50-year footprint," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 16-31, March.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & Jones, Marian V., 2004. "Methodological issues in international entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 485-508, July.
- Natasha Evers, 2010. "Factors influencing the internationalisation of new ventures in the Irish aquaculture industry: An exploratory study," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 392-416, December.
- Maria Adenfelt & Katarina Lagerström, 2006. "Organizational rejuvenation for knowledge exploitation: Exploring corporate entrepreneurship in an MNE," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 83-98, September.
- Salvatore Sciascia & Pietro Mazzola & Joseph Astrachan & Torsten Pieper, 2012. "The role of family ownership in international entrepreneurship: exploring nonlinear effects," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 15-31, January.
- Acedo, Francisco José & Casillas, José Carlos, 2005. "Current paradigms in the international management field: An author co-citation analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 619-639, October.
- Kuemmerle, Walter, 2002. "Home base and knowledge management in international ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 99-122, March.
- KIEDERICH, Andreas, 2007. "Investigating New Technology Based Firm (NTBF) internationalization: The impact on performance, the process and the antecedents," Working Papers 2007005, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & McDougall, Patricia P. & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 2011. "The emergence, advance and future of international entrepreneurship research — An introduction to the special forum," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 625-631.
- Simin Lin, 2010. "Internationalization of the SME: Towards an integrative approach of resources and competences," Post-Print halshs-00692465, HAL.
- Jolanda Hessels & André Stel, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, export orientation, and economic growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 255-268, September.
- Nielsen, Christine & Thangadurai, Mohan, 2007. "Janus and the Delphi Oracle: Entering the new world of international business research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 147-163, June.
- Contractor, Farok J., 2000. "What "international" subtopics are crucial to business education?: A survey of management school professors," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 61-70.
- Man Zhang & Patriya Tansuhaj & James McCullough, 2009. "International entrepreneurial capability: The measurement and a comparison between born global firms and traditional exporters in China," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 292-322, December.
- Perks, Keith J. & Hughes, Mathew, 2008. "Entrepreneurial decision-making in internationalization: Propositions from mid-size firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 310-330, June.
- Nitulescu-Antonie Renata & Feder Emoke-Szidonia, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Behaviour Analysis In The Internationalisation Process Of Global Border Type Small And Medium Sized Enterprises," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 212-217, May.
- Chandra, Ramdas & Newburry, William, 1997. "A cognitive map of the international business field," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 387-410, August.
- Szyliowicz, Dara & Galvin, Tiffany, 2010. "Applying broader strokes: Extending institutional perspectives and agendas for international entrepreneurship research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 317-332, August.
- Jones, Marian V. & Coviello, Nicole & Tang, Yee Kwan, 2011. "International Entrepreneurship research (1989–2009): A domain ontology and thematic analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 632-659.
- Zhang, Jianhong & He, Xinming, 2014. "Economic nationalism and foreign acquisition completion: The case of China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 212-227.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.